[3830] NAQP CW K4NO Multi

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K4NO Multi
From: k4no@ix.netcom.com (k4no@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:24:06 -0400 (EDT)
                     North America QSO Party - CW

Call: K4NO
Operator(s): K4GU, K4NO
Station: K4NO

Class: Multi
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

  160:     51     26
   80:    159     43
   40:    316     50
   20:    153     42
   15:     50     20
   10:     14     11
----------------------
Total:    743    192  =  142,656

Club/Team: SouthEastern Contest Club

Comments:

It was like a multi op only different.  The contest started and I was... mowing
the yard.
Finally got into the radio room an hour and 30 minutes into the contest.  The
only other op I could get to come over was Mike K4GU and he was working on home
projects as well.

I borrowed an FT-1000MP that we used at Field Day  (thanks Scotty, N4PYD and
KX4V Bill) and tried to get it working with computer 2.  Interface would not
key the radio.
Put FT-1000 on computer 1. Would not key radio and now the paddles are locking
up computer 1.  Reboot. Drag out laptop that came with FT-1000MP It works, keys
fine, paddles ok.  However, Network cable in middle of floor under feet of
station 2.   Back to FT-102 on computer 1.  Paddles dont work, interface
keying.  Oh well, start contest.
High bands terrible, 20 not too good either.

My daughter wants to help so I put MP on 15 meters, high in band and let her
push F1 until she hears somebody call.  she hits F1 again and hands me the
headset.  I'm on 20 S&P.
This kinda works for a while. I find humor that my daugher is using the MP
while I'm using the 102.

I take a break to fix the coax on the 40 meter dipole around 0030Z.  When I get
off tower, Mike drives up.  We have about 150 Q's at this point.   He gets the
dipole and a clear frequency and stays on 40 for the rest of the contest.  Did
a great job running folks.

I decide to see how much interaction there is between the 40 meter antennas and
the 20 meter beam. there is about 10' of seperation on the tower.  Not much of
a problem except on the 2nd harmonic.    The 40 meter and 80 meter loop are
about 4 feet apart and we didn't have much problem there either.  Stubs should
take care of what problems we had.

Had lots of fun. Daughter was disappointed that Mike showed up as her spot was
taken.
I told her that if she learned CW, she could get a chair anytime

looking forward to SSB NAQP.

Greg