[3830] NA Sprint SSB K1TO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB K1TO HP
From: k1to@aol.com (k1to@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:00:21 -0400 (EDT)
                     NA Sprint - SSB

Call: K1TO
Operator:
Station:

Power: HP
QTH: FL

   80:     22
   40:     87
   20:    139
----------------------
Total:    248 Qs   47 Mults =  11,656

Club/Team: FLORIDA CONTEST GROUP

Comments:

K1TO FLORIDA High Power

75 - inv vee tuned for CW, so used low power to be even weaker
40 - 2L @ 87'
20 - 4L @ 93'

FT-1000MP + Commander HF-2500

TEAM:  FLORIDA CONTEST GROUP

A little over 3 hours in the chair, including a torturous 25 mins on 75.  As
N2NL noted, there was a disproportionate amount of Midwest activity working
each other.  K9PG told me beforehand that they had 3 full teams - great job
getting guys on!  The Florida Contest Group sported a full team on both modes
this time around for the first time ever - hope everyone noticed that increase,
too.

Noted a fair number of folks who consciously shortened the exchange to gain
time - even when pointed out to them on another band.  Not cool, but since it
is never enforced beyond a slap on the wrist, the practice will continue.  It
seems a lot worse on SSB, or is it just my deeply ingrained bias against SSB?

For some reason, I seem to be a lot weaker on SSB than on CW.  There
is no doubt that I was beaten out a lot more than I got through this
time.  Propagation seemed to favor other areas anyway (much more so than on
CW), plus it seemed that the East and West were beaming towards each other,
leaving deep W4 off the side of everyone's antennas.

Used a hand mic which caused my hand to be permanently welded in position for
about 10 minutes at each break!  (My Heils are enroute to IL for repair.)  The
things we do for our club!!

Mults:  Rich, KL7RA called in with a low number as did XE1RGL.  Even got #1
from W0BA in KS.  Got beat out to J69AZ on 20 SSB and never went back to eke
out a QSO from him.  Heard N8NA/DE on 75 all alone, but had no chance to raise
him with my inferior signal there (in fact, EVERY station I worked on 75 needed
a fill on the number!).  Never heard RI, VT, MD, MT, WY, WV, SD, VE2 or
VE8/VY1.

Hope all of us weather Gordon when all is said and done.  Winds have been
steady, but not damaging.  As of 10 AM today, we have had 5 inches of rain here
and there is no sign of it letting up.  Good thing we live on a high hill.  ;<)

73, Dan