[3830] CQWW Phone de XE3/W0AH

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW Phone de XE3/W0AH
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:05:21 EST
XE3/W0AH  Single op, all band, low power 40 hours

Band    Contacts   Zones   Countries
160M       8         3         3
75M        124       11        14
40M        230       16        37
20M        654       21        58
15M        579       24        69
10M        1065      21        65
Total      2660      96       246    Score  2,032,848

Comments
Used an Icom 706 to an old Hygain 18AVQ 10-80M trap vertical over salt water.
 Put down two tuned radials on 75, two on 40, and four radials on 20M right
on the dock where the vertical was.  The first radials were tuned, but adding
additional radials detuned all of them.  Might have done better on 10M/15M if
I had radials there, but thought I would use a homerew 2 el 10M/15M quad
(surprise- bamboo does NOT grow wild in Cancun area so making the spreaders
is a story in itself)so didn't bother to put  down 10M/15M radials.  The quad
blew down in a storm after only 6 contacts, but the vertical worked FB, about
as well as my KT34XA at home! A vertical over salt water lives up to its
reputation!  Just a 1/4 wl wire a few feet above ground on 160M.
Pileups are fun, and something I've never experienced before.  Going without
much sleep is not fun.
I have antennas to lend to a local XE3 if I can find one.  I'll be on
21.345/28.345 today starting at 3 PM Central time to show ham radio to
severel Mexicans who are interested.  Call me then if you can.
QSL to W2GR
Doug  XE3/W0AH