[3830] CQWW SSB KL7Y M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KL7Y M/M HP
From: kl7y@alaska.net (kl7y@alaska.net)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 00:28:45 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: KL7Y
Operator(s): KL7Y, WL7E, KL2A, KL9A, KL7FH, K7NT, K1VR, WA2GO, AL7PJ, NL7Z,
KL7CC
Station: KL7Y

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Alaska
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:     27      4      4
   80:    150     16     24
   40:    615     25     57
   20:   2686     40    146
   15:   3551     38    146
   10:   2745     38    134
-------------------------------
Total:   9774    161    511  =  16,786,560

Club/Team:

Comments:

Our best start ever with the first 1000 Qs logged in at 0125Z.  At 3000 QSOs we
were about an hour and a half ahead of last year's WW (CW) where we made 14K
Qs. It seriously looked like we would be over 10K Qs after the first 24 hours
as all 6 bands were making Qs.  Plus we were working mults at a record pace -
15m went DXCC 10 hours into the contest, for example.  Everything was working
just fine until aurora hit.  The sad part was we could hear several other KL7s
in different parts of the state just keep on working guys.  Our area seemed to
be the only one crippled.  After several hours of dismal results the bands
started to come back.  By the end of the first day we were back to making a
1000 QSOs in under 2 hours.  We had weathered the storm and were smiling again.
 Then came the second aurora.  Good-bye 160 and 80. Then 10 faded.  40 went
useless, then 15.  20m struggled, then it too collasped.  Our rate flatlined.
Overhead was a giant curtain of light and way to the SOUTH the sky was flashing
with auroral energy. At one point we made 2 QSOs in a 60 minute period.  The
first night W6RJ was at S9+40 on 75m when he was working JAs.  The second night
he was S0 and barely audible on a dead quiet band.  What's that 90 dB?  Even
QRPers suffer only a 30 dB one-way loss.  In the last hour things perked up,
but with half the contest wasted it was little compensation.  The auroras were
horrible, but the fact that they came after such a promising start made it much
worse.  I propose a new Q signal - QMB.  Quite a Major Bummer.  May CW be a lot
better.