[3830] CQWW SSB W4WS M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W4WS M/S HP
From: n4vhk@summitschool.com (n4vhk@summitschool.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:27:11 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: W4WS
Operator(s): N4VHK, KU4BP, WB4MSG, KT4CD, N0KTY, KE4CPO,
Station: N4VHK

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:      3      3      3
   80:     79     17     50
   40:    129     23     76
   20:    705     34    128
   15:    647     34    129
   10:    715     32    121
-------------------------------
Total:   2278    143    507  =  4,069,000

Club/Team: CDXA

Comments:

Equipment Description: TS 850, TS930 (2), FT767, HEIL PROSETS,
W9XT CONTEST CARD, SB-220 (3)

EQUIPMENT CASUALTIES: SB220, TS850, FT767

        160: SHUNT FED 40' ROHN 25
         80: SHUNT FED 40' ROHN 25, 80M LOOP @30-40 FEET
         40: FORCE 12 C4XL @40'
   20,15,10: FORCE 12 C4XL @40', FORCE 12 C3E @58'
         10: 2L DELTA LOOP @30'
     160-40: PENNANT RCV LOOP

Club Affiliation: CDXA

        Last year our quote was "nothing over 40'". This year
        we extended that to 58' with another tower tied to the
        house with an F12 C3E on top. The best move we ever
        made. An increase from 2.4M to 4 Million points. We did
        manage to burn up the input circuit in an SB220- Thanks
        to the Forsyth Amateur Radio Club for the last minute loan.
        The same blow up took out the audio output of an TS850 and
        the power supply of an FT767. (Yep- too much power into the
        wrong antenna...) Still we reacted quickly and never fell
        off the air completely. Highlights included a bizarre
        run of propagation on Saturday afternoon that netted us
        27 multipliers in 25 minutes on 3 bands! We broke in a new
        contester, and finished off our Y2K effort with a fantastic
        15 meter run to JA to push us over our goal of 4 million points.
        Saturday runs were much more productive, and we didnt have the
        kind of 15 meter propagation that many others seemed to have.
        We did have an auburn sky at midnight Saturday night resulting
        in terrible 20 meter overnight conditions. It was awful
        listening to other SE stations ripping off qso after qso that
        night while we could barely work EU. The CT serial network
        with 3 computers worked perfectly except for 3 quick crashes
        that were caused by too much RF in the shack (the shunts are
        only several feet away from one of the operating positions.)
        All the guys agreed to a 6 million goal next year- who knows?
        All in all, a great final effort from the N4VHK QTH. We did
        have a couple neighbors come to "visit"; one took our annual
        event explanation OK- the other just stomped away (He's hopeless)
        screaming that we were getting into his computer speakers.
        Special thanks to my XYL Julie for putting up with a backyard
        nightmare for the last month- I've promised her a warm climate
        DXpedition and shopping trip in the next couple years...

observed fully the rules and regulations of the contest. But
there was no CQ'ing on the mult rig, (thus no refusing to answer
non-mults,)  and hence no zero-pointing non-mults on the mult rig.

                             Signature Henry Heidtmann, N4VHK
                                       Trustee, W4WS

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Winston-Salem Contest Crew,  W4WS