[3830] CQWW SSB W1CTN SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W1CTN SOAB LP
From: w1ctn@arrl.net (w1ctn@arrl.net)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 10:48:34 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): DAVE
Station: W1CTN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ANSONIA CT
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:     15      7      6
   80:     62     13     37
   40:     74     16     44
   20:    228     26     88
   15:    262     26     86
   10:    621     25    104
-------------------------------
Total:   1262    113    365  =  1,685,428

Club/Team: CONNECTICUT RADIO SOCIETY

Comments:

Equipment: Yaesu FT-920 100 watts
Ant Farm:
           160 meters: Dipole @ 40'
           160 meters: Inverted Checkmark ~ala K3WW w/30 radials 65-130' on
grnd
            80 meters: Dipole @ 40'
            40 meters: Dipole @ 50'
            40 meters: Wire ground plane strung off tower w/2 radials  5' up
         20-10 meters: Mosley Classic 33 @ 45'
         20-10 meters: Mosley TA32 2 element fixed on Caribbean/South America

I had a great time, with 19 hours to spare !!! I was surprised how well I did,
with my "Derringer Station". I found conditions pretty good, even with the
solar flare. Why all the complaining about conditions, we take what we get and
WORK WITH IT...it makes for a challenge, not a turkey shoot.

I found the activity levels very high and Saturday 10 meters was packed to 29.2
mhz. My secret weapon was a used TA 32 ($20.00) strapped to the tower at 25'
pointed south. It was amazing how the Caribbean/South Americans just came out
of the noise when I had the CL33 pointed at EU/JA. I felt like a real BIG GUN
:).

Always looking for better low band antennas...45 - 50' vertical section max,
all  ideas welcome !!!

My station, with the exception of the FT 920, is a "zero output" (translate:
little to no money endeavor). 90% of the feedlines are thrown out RG-11 or CATV
hardline, the inverted checkmark is fed with homemade open wire line to
homebrew tuners. So you don't need to be a big gun to really play the game.
Even my logging computers are junkers.

Hope to see all of you in the upcoming contest season.

73
Dave W1CTN sometimes W1CRS...Connecticut Radio Society