[3830] ARRL SS SSB N5ZC SO Unlimited

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB N5ZC SO Unlimited
From: rthorne@tcac.net (rthorne@tcac.net)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:46:38 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: N5ZC
Operator(s): N5ZC
Station: N5ZC

Class: SO Unlimited
Section: WTX
Operating Time (hrs): 17.50

  160:
   80:     11
   40:     39
   20:    568
   15:    292
   10:    343
-------------------------------
Total:   1253 x     80  =  200,480

Club:

Comments:

Always look forward to this contest, its my favorite as its possible to be
competitve from WTX.

Ran the Kachina 505dsp via remote control with a  Acom 2000a Amp.  Sure is a
nice amp.  But I still have not worked out all of the problems with the remote.
 I have stacked F12s (C4XL at 75' and a C3 at 45').  When I have the lower
antenna in the stack on 20m I have to keep the power out to around 400 watts
other wise I get into the phone modem and get disconnected.  40m does the same
thing if I go full power.  Very frustrating.

The 80m inverted v was ready to go before the contest, but for some reason the
swr went crazy, hence only 11 qso's.  I ran the internal tuner and just 100
watts.

Then there was the line noise to the NW and occasionally all of the time on the
lower fixed antenna to the NE.  I installed a relay inside the WX0B switch box
which I can control via remote control.  I can pick the stack or the top
antenna only which helps solve the static problem.  I guess its time to call
the power company and have them check out the poles behind the office building.

No frequency wars this year.  I made a mental note to stay away from 14.236.
But guess what, I tuned into it this evening without thinking.  I was doing
pretty well on 14.233 or so when someone told me what he thought of me and
contesting.  So I just tuned the dial.  With all the bands open, finding a
clear frequency was not hard at all.

I still don't feel lound on 40 and 80 so I'm glad I was able run at a good clip
on 20m last night until 11:00pm local, that was a nice treat.

Now to resolve the remaining remote control problems.  Its going to be a while
before we move out to the country so I need to make it work.  Its just a matter
of finding the right orientation of the antennas.  As it is now the tower is
just 15'above the station which is probably getting hit with all sorts of rf.

See you all in the ARRL 10m contest, another favorite.