[3830] CQWW CW K1ZZ SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1ZZ SOAB HP
From: davcar@portone.com (davcar@portone.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:09:45 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: K1ZZ
Operator(s): NT1N
Station: K1ZZ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:     39     12     28
   80:    329     20     69
   40:   1010     31    102
   20:    664     36    105
   15:   1266     35    111
   10:   1082     33    108
-------------------------------
Total:   4390    167    523  =  8,650,000

Club/Team: YCCC

Comments:

This should go down as the best CQWW ever.  What a treat to hear the bands
turned off like they were on a switch.  I guess I am getting older now, because
I knew what that was.  The last time I was on the air and it happened I spent a
half hour trying to find what broke in the station! :)

I may have made a  strategic mistake by not CQing on 10 on Sunday.  I counted
on blasting through on 15 and then moving to 20.  15 worked out pretty well,
but, well, the flare kind of removed 20 when I got there.

Had a couple minor equipment failures (amp at 28 hours in, and keyer shortly
thereafter--ever wondered what a hassle it is to change keyers mid-contest?
Especially one that has to use clipleads to get power!  And the 40m rotor
decided to stop rotating around 2 AM Saturday.  Fortunately it was fixed at EU!
 Dave had the pleasure of rebuilding it during the day on Saturday.)  Then I
had an unusual operator failure in that I HAD to lie down for an hour around 4
AM Sunday.  My hands were frozen--literally cold.  Plus I simply could not hit
the right keys or send CW.  Never experienced this before.  I have made it
through the complete 48 hours several times before and this is a big plus when
it comes to winning or losing by a hundred or so QSOs.

Finally congrats to all the competitors who put-up tremendous scores!  AR and
ZD really had a run at it while 2M and I (probably others too whom I haven't
seen scores from yet) nipped at their heels.  Also some great scores from the
rest of the country too including RE and the new 5GO station and the now older
9NS station.

It was interesting to hear HC8N nearly 24 hours a day on three bands!

Oh yea, thanks to DG for letting me mult run with ya at the end ! :)

Thanks to Dave and Linda for the use of their station.

73, Dave, NT1N