[3830] N3BB SOAB CQWW CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N3BB SOAB CQWW CW
From: n3bb@mindspring.com (Jim George)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:25:20 -0600
Lots of new things to take on this time.  Used NA and a real 2R set up.
Had some weird problems getting the control box QRV, and there was some
problem with the paddle input and as a result, I was not able to use either
the paddle input or my Benchers in parallel with it, and so I went into the
Big One with only one keyboard.  And I'm a two finger typist!

They say we should use our minds and "think" some as we age in order to
keep our minds sharp.  I don't know how sharp or dull my mind is, but
learning a new program, building the damned 2R control box, having some
problems with that project, not having my safety paddle to send code with,
and learning to move mults (sounds simple but I never have been any good at
it, and was committed to try to learn it) all in one weekend was a pretty
big order.

Maybe that's why I was so fatigued, and slept for three periods, 3+2+3
hours for eight hours total.  I used to be able to do these things pretty
well on four or at most five hours, but whether it is age (58+ now) or all
the new things and that stress, I don't know.  The bands were pretty good
and followed the propagation predictions well up till the big eclipse of
the ionosphere Sunday afternoon at 1700Z.  It was peculiar running on ten
meters and dialing 15 meters with the second radio, and finding there was
nothing calling and nothing to S&P all of a sudden.  I had a ten minute rag
chew with local friend K5NA on my 10 meter (supposedly) run frequency, and
then the band started to come back pretty fast.  It was very interesting to
actually experience a solar magnetic storm up front and personal during a
major contest.

Some fast comments;

1.  SSB pirates are starting to make CW contests a difficult experience.
Weak DX signals are extremely hard and unpleasant and difficult to copy
under SSB QRM.  There are *lots* of run QSOs made where the signals are S
0.5. If we lose primacy on the bands to pirates, it will be a major blow to
our hobby and contesting.

2. Interesting LP openings after the flare.  I found T88JA and 4F1RWW
coming in due east on 20 meter LP at 2140Z.  Perhaps that's a normal
opening, similar to the usual VK LP path, but it was a new one for me.

3. VQ9SS called me at 1245Z on 40 meters when I was beaming 315 degrees to
JA.  That a looong path.  His signal was watery but Q5.  Thanks!

4. Thanks to HP1AC, VR2OA, OY1CT, GM4SID, VQ9GB, and BV2FA for moving once
I got the nerve to ask, and the capability to peak out the choppy CW on the
ALT K keyboard mode.  I'll do much better at this in the future.

5.  Gotta get rid of my museum quality 25 MHz old PC clones.  They limited
NA and I had to wait for the QSOs to clear on my old clunker.  I developed
some tricks to assist the program, such as entering the QSO immediately,
and not depending on the "+" key to do that at the end.  But when I had to
modify a letter in a call already entered, that process in the program was
pretty long with a big call database later in the contest, especially if
the call started with a "J."  There were some contacts where the program
went into a five to seven second do-loop, and I sounded like a big lid on
the frequency waiting for the software system to regain its consciousnous.

6. 865 QSOs in Zone 25 and 792 QSOs in Zone 14.  Those are the two big
anchor points for us in the middle of the country.  Where can I buy an "I
(heart) JAs" button?

7.  Low point.  Exasperated not being able to crack the pile up for a loud
VK9NS on 40 for ten minutes on the S&P radio.  When I gave up, I noticed
the Alpha 76PA band knob was on 80 meters and the power out was zero.  Upon
clicking the band knob to 40, Jim heard me on the first call.

8. No huge rates for me.  The BRK database shows a 137 (14Z) and a 110
(15Z) on ten meters runs the first day as the only two hours above 100.
There were a lot of hours over 75, and that kept the contest interesting
from Texas.

                           2000 CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST

     Call used: N3BB                                           Location: 04

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 1500

     Callsign of Operator: N3BB

     If multi-operator, show calls of all operators and loggers:

     Exchanged Information: N3BB RST 04

     Hours of Operation: approx 40

     band    QSOs   points    zones     ctys
     ---------------------------------------
     160       12       24        9       10
      80       52      139       14       31
      40      552     1595       30       81
      20      470     1372       28       88
      15      487     1355       30       91
      10      996     2820       28       93
     ---------------------------------------
     TOTAL   2569     7305      139      394         SCORE: 3,893,565

     Club or Team Name: Central TX DX & Contest Club

     Comments:

     I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
     amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
     best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
     CQ Awards Committee.

     Name: Jim George                      Call: N3BB
           14721 Bear Creek Pass
           Austin, TX  78737