[3830] ARRL160 K8ND M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL160 K8ND M/S HP
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (jmaass@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:02:53 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K8ND
Operator(s): K8ND, K1LT
Station: K8ND

Class: M/S HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 37

Total:    1121     74       19      =  215,202

Club/Team: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

EQUIPMENT:  FT1000MP (Single radio for transmit: IC-765 used briefly for RX)
            Alpha 91B Amplifier
            Inv-L (45-foot vertical section)
            ~280' NE/SW 2-wire Beverage
            ~420' E/W 2-wire Beverage
            ~300' NW/SE 2-wire Beverage
            ~190' N/S 2-wire Beverage
            Phased vertical receiving array (4x26-foot verticals)
            Software: NA 10.50

K1LT and I did  Multi-Single here, continuing a tradition begun at W8LT in the
first of these contests in 1970. We've now each participated in 24 of of the 31
runnings of the ARRL 160 Meter Contest! This was our second-best score, and
that using four very short 2-wire Beverages on my 200x400-foot suburban lot,
and a small Inverted-L.

Everything in the West and the northern Tier of midwest states was very weak,
more the first night than the second. Minnesota must have had an absorptive
cloak! First night netted nine European multipliers between 0458Z and 0619Z,
all as responses to our CQ.

It seems that I spent more time than usual digging weak stations out of the
noise with the Beverages.

We were a single-radio operation, and had no packet the first night
(configuration error). We mostly held forth on 1826 calling CQ. "Maass' Law of
Multipliers: If you CQ, They will come!"

Missed ND, AK, NL, MAR, AB and NWT among the sections. We heard a ND station,
but he was pouncing, and never lighted on our frequency.

K1LT was rousted from a sound sleep to repair the 12-position receiving antenna
switch, when it froze up (mechanically) at around 1000Z Sunday morning, 1/2
hour before sunrise. This switch controls the relay-driven switch box, and
we're talking about replacing it with pushbuttons. Victor also completed the
"proof of concept" phase for a phased vertical receiving array for my
space-limited property. We may try it in the Stew Perry to complement the
Beverages.

Good fun!