[3830] ARRL10 K8ND M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 K8ND M/S HP
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (jmaass@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:39:08 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K8ND
Operator(s): K8ND (+PACKET)
Station: K8ND

Class: M/S HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 16:07

   CW:    534    127
  SSB:    567    109
----------------------
Total:   1101    236  =  771,720

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

EQUIPMENT:
    FT1000MP
    Alpha 91b
    KT34XA @ 69 feet

Part-time effort. Call from parents required prime-time Saturday
1.5 hour trip to replace a battery in a beeping smoke detector!
I wasn't up to a full effort after SS and the 160M Contest anyway.

I started Saturday morning without having decided for sure
whether I would go CW only Single-op or M/S, but finally decided
that I would use packet. This gave me a chance to learn the
vagaries of bandmap operation in NA.

I didn't plan any SSB, but went up to get some multipliers, and
ended up dividing the modes by operating CW Saturday and
SSB on Sunday.

All pounce on CW, and 50/50 pounce and CQ on phone. I was
planning to return to CW late Sunday afternoon, but got dozed
off trying to clear a headache.

I seemed to have an excellent signal into Europe, with many unsolicited
"very strong signal" reports. One S51 station said I was +45dB on his
FT1000MP, and seemed to imply that I had more than the legal
power (I don't). All I can say is that the KT34XA at 69 feet has been
working very well into Europe all season!

I need more antennas pointed in other directions if I want to be
serious in this contest in the future.

Go Mad River! Kick Butt!