[3830] ARRL10 K6KM(K2KW) SO CW HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 K6KM(K2KW) SO CW HP
From: k2kw@prodigy.net (k2kw@prodigy.net)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:34:17 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K6KM
Operator(s): K2KW
Station:

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:   1728    131
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:   1728    131  =  907,568

Club: NCCC

Comments:

Comments:  Thanks again to Bill, K6KM and his wife Ginny for their great
hospitality, and allowing me to play radio all weekend.

I started off the contest with an amazing 185 clock hour (my highest rate from
the US).  Huge signals from both USA and EU during that run.  Then things got
ugly.  The band closed down very early Friday evening compared to WW CW just a
short time ago (I did a 10m single band in WW CW from K6KM's). No SA stations
heard on Friday after USA and JA closed down, so I knew it was going to be
rough contest.

EU was barely there on both mornings, and it was hard to get anything going
at all.  On Sunday, most EU was worked via scatter beaming the Caribbean.
Overall, very few EU QSOs were made which really hurt the score.

Compared to last year, there was a LOT more dB's worth of aluminum in the
air, but I still came up 10% short in score compared to last year.  Oh well,
that's contesting!

K6KM's antenna configuration for this contest:
4/4 to EU (top rotatable)
4/4 to USA (~75 degrees)
8 element Yagi fixed on JA
C3
11 element 10/12m Force 12 Duobander

1000MP + Alpha 87A

During the day, I was double-beaming EU and USA using both 4/4 stacks, as they
are on the same tower   When JA opened up, I was double-beaming (with an
additional StackMatch in the shack) with the lower 4/4 USA stack plus the 8
element JA antenna.

For those of you running CT, watch out for some problems with scoring
(CT9.53 + latest supporting files)... CT logged WH7K in Kingman Reef (should
be Hawaii), and JR0BQD/1 as JD/o.  I used the command of WH7K=KH6 and
JR0BQD/1=JA in the
logging line to fix the score.  CT also logged KH6 and KL7 as countries, and
not sections.  That doesn't impact the final score, but the sections/country
totals are off.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

Kenny K2KW