[3830] ARRL160 K6AM SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL160 K6AM SO HP
From: johnbarcroft@clearchannel.com (johnbarcroft@clearchannel.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:25:06 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K6AM
Operator(s): K6AM
Station:

Class: SO HP
QTH: SDG
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:     579     72        5      =  91,476

Club/Team: SCCC

Comments:

Landed from my ZF2AM CQWW excursion very late Tuesday night after a week with
no sleep.  Did I take a few days off to catch up?  NO WAY. There's yet another
contest in 3 days!

Just re-packed the Cayman stuff for 160 M and took it down to our new 160 M
location where I was able to hook up to a full size vertical with a bunch of
radials.  After 2 days of stringing up a beveridge and loop we made it just in
time.  Waited for sundown to get started although I hear there was plenty of
action right out of the gate.

Being within 100 feet of an AM broadcast tower radiating 1 kW produced some
interesting junk across the band, but there was a nice hole from 1815 to 1850
that most guys could be heard through.  The long wire worked much better than
the vert or the loop.  Next time we'll put one on JA where I only worked about
4 guys out of about 50 or so who were active.

This was my first ARRL 160, but the antenna worked well and I finally went to
bed and got a full night's sleep with a sense that we did alright.