[3830] ARRL10 VY1/K7BV(@VY1JA) SO CW HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 VY1/K7BV(@VY1JA) SO CW HP
From: k7bv@aol.com (k7bv@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:41:40 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VY1/K7BV
Operator(s): K7BV
Station: VY1JA

Class: SO CW HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 26

   CW:   1404     93
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:   1404     93  =  521,916

Club:

Comments:

Arrived in Whitehorse Friday morning in time for J, VY1JA to rush me out to the
cabin that serves as a guest operator shack in the back field behind his house
- some 25 miles north of Whitehorse. The winter cold had arrived too fast this
year to get his aluminum up but he did get up an unterminated Vee at 80' with
400'- per-leg up pointed right down the middle of the USA. I used his Omni-V
and AL80A which pumped out about 500W. It is full dark around 4PM and the sun
doesn't show again until after 10AM so the timing of the 10M contest is a bit
of challenge up in those northern latitudes. Friday eve through early Sunday AM
was loaded with aurora buzz and hash. It cleared up Sunday after sunrise which
allowed a quick dash for Q-count but too late to do much with the mults.
Europe was a total bust other than a few of the Big Boys blowing a hole over
the pole for a quick contact via God-only-knows what path or mode of
propagation. No AF. The JAs are blocked by a very high mountain but I managed
to log quite a few. Fortuanately the rate was slow enough to take quick breaks
to toss another log in the cabin's wood stove and somewhat uncomfortable visit
to the adjacent outhouse that WAS NOT equipped with heated "seating." One
definitely does not take a NCJ out there to casually glance through to pass the
time away... My thanks to J who is a wonderful host and his wife Ann for
putting up with me.