[3830] RAC Winter Contest 2000 - VE6SV

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter Contest 2000 - VE6SV
From: gkosmenko@arrowspeed.com (Gord Kosmenko)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 22:20:52 -0700
                     RAC WINTER CONTEST -- 2000

       Call:     VE6SV
       Category:  Multi Multi
       Power:     High Power
       Band:      All Band
       Mode:      Mixed Mode
       Country:   Canada

       BAND   CW QSO  CW QSO PTS   SSB QSO  SSB QSO PTS

       160              23                  152                 10
      84
        80               55                   362                 95
     724
        40             108                   540                 58
    560
        20             270                 1098               340         1814
        15             210                   798                590
2360
        10                77                   340               744
  2678
         6                   1                      10                    1
             10
         2                   2                      20                  18

------------

                746            +      1856     =   2602 Total QSO

Score:
(3320 CW QSO PTS + 8410 SSB QSO PTS) X (44 CW MULTS + 52 SSB MULTS)

                                         TOTAL SCORE - 1,126,080

Team Members:  VA6LG (exUN7LG), VE6NAP, VE6LDX, VE6SK, VE6SV

We had a late start to the contest but overall we had a great time. We
welcome Paul
UN7LG (now VA6LG) to our team, the Edmonton area and Canada ! Paul and his
family have just immigrated to Canada as of September 2000. Paul was a very
active
contester in his native country  of Kazakhstan. He is the current all time
CQWW DX
CW record holder for Zone 19.

Neil VE6SK (aka VE6NRJ) the VE6 Incoming QSL Bureau manager joined us for the
first time, maybe we got ourselves a new team member! And Heinz VE6LDX returns
as part of operating crew after a "number" of missed years ,welcome back
Heinz.

And of course my main technical guy (chief technical guy, antenna ground
leader and
Sierra Victor web master), Gerry VE6NAP ,he is even starting to "like" cw
and operating
in general. I have to really express my appreciation to Gerry for the great
amount of
time and support he has contributed to the VE6SV contest station.

With 75% of the team being new to the station details, the first couple of
hours was a
steep learning curve to the station setup, logging software and me! The
only major
strategy operating mistake, was we kind of let the multiplier hunting and
band moving
slip. The station was been designed and optimized for multi-single
competition style
of operating. So, having HF three KW stations going (two full time and the
third part
time) and the two VHF stations (2m and 6M) was a real big change.

I also had a sense of VE active down for previous years, but on the other
had the DX
folks sure had a handle to what was the proper QSO exchange. In conclusion
we had
a great time and no hardware failures. The contest logging software was CT
9.54v
using an ethernet network.

     73 de Gord VE6SV
Gordon R. Kosmenko  VE6SV