[3830] RTTY Roundup K6LL SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K6LL SOAB HP
From: K6LL@juno.com (K6LL@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:38:26 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

   80:    102
   40:    162
   20:    309
   15:    356     <-----Multipliers ----->
   10:    242   States  Provinces  DX   Total
Total:   1171     48        8      52    108   =  126,468

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my third RTTY Roundup, spread over the past 24 years.

W7WW, my neighbor across town, has been bugging me to get into RTTY, and to do
a multi-single with him in this contest. That was the plan until I came down
with the flu last Monday. By Thursday evening, I started to feel a little
better, and decided to mess around in the contest as a single op.

I ordered the Writelog Program on Thursday evening, and got it downloaded and
cobbled together into a two-radio lashup on Friday. My only Windows computer is
an old 200 Mhz Cyrix, with only one unused com port, and a $8 sound board that
I got at Fry's electronics. Writelog's sound card tester gave my el cheapo
sound card a 7F score (great!), so off we go. This $8 sound card was the only
"Terminal Unit" I used, rather amazing when you think of it. With only one com
port, I had to forego radio control, and could only do one channel of transmit
FSK. The other radio had to use AFSK, but selecting "low tones" put the audio
smack in the middle of the TS-850's LSB passband, and the 500 Hz filters seemed
to be perfectly positioned. I also used "low tones" on the FSK side, so tuning
would be the same on both radios.

Everything went along fine until Sunday morning, when, for some reason, RF
started getting into the AFSK audio, making it totally unusable on 10 meters.
It had worked fine on Saturday! Because of the way I had the antennas
distributed to the two rigs, this created a massive disruption to my two-radio
scheme, and cost quite a bit of time off during the brief EU opening. I had to
switch the one set of FSK cables back and forth between the two rigs in order
to change bands! I'm sure this major Charlie-Fox cost over a hundred Q's and a
bunch of mults. Well, that's what you get when you make any last-minute changes
before a contest. It's all part of the game!

Now it's time to put the Windows computer back to doing tax returns, etc., and
get the whole station rewired for two radios in the CW NAQP next weekend. At
least that contest is low power, so RFI shouldn't be an issue!

73 to all, and see you next weekend.

Dave, K6LL