[3830] NAQP CW W9SMC(K9GY) SO

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W9SMC(K9GY) SO
From: k9gy@contesting.com (k9gy@contesting.com)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 23:37:52 -0500 (EST)
                     North America QSO Party - CW

Call: W9SMC
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: SO LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

  160:
   80:
   40:    160     41
   20:     77     33
   15:     44     17
   10:     39     12
----------------------
Total:    320    103  =  32,960

Club/Team: Society of Midwest Contesters (SMC)

Comments:

Our cats, Stella and Pickles, wanted to do a multi-op
with SMC's club call...So we used Stella's name, but those
darn cats just slept on my lazy boy chair most of the contest!
Can't get good ops now-a-days! I thought they'd have good
ears too! Although they both did randomly come by for some
petting and fur disposal (try keeping fur out of the key).

WELL, initial goal was 500 Q, 200 M, 100k pts...
As you can see that didn't happen! Was able to run
a little on 20m. Had a real nice 40m run around 00/01z.
Other than that mostly S&P. Went back to check 20m late
and worked UA3AGW, nice to see some DX getting in on it.
Also worked ZF2NT on a couple of bands. And even snuck in
a non-contest K9GY 20m CW QSO with FR5FD, ha! Ah, life in
the snow belt of poor propagation.

Geez, lots of CHAD's floating around in FL lately. I wished
they had told me whether they were hanging or dimpled so I
could properly count them. Even worked Jeb too! Although actually
worked a 'normal' name in FL and it threw me, ha!

My apologies, especially to K6CTA, for mistakingly thinking the "ST..."
was a busted name, when he wanted the STATE! Geez, never thought about
the confusion between the "st" in Stella and the request for a state
fill...duh.

Was the first running of the used FT-990...Found out the CW sidetone
is an INTERNAL adjustment. Ok, who's the bright engineer that did that?!
So my ears suffered with a loud sidetone, since I didn't want to pull
everything apart. Geez, and this is my first Yaesu HF radio. IMHO, the
TS-930 has a better receiver, just got tired of taking it to AES for
various repairs. And oh, as the QST review mentioned, the FT-990
AF amplifier emits hf hiss which is annoying for a CW op!!!! When will
some manufacturer make a modern TS-930? please?

See you all on for the CW Sprint...just copy the name correctly,
whichever one I decide to use. My personal favorite was "YO",
nice and short and to the point.

73, Eric
Yaesu Ft-990
Cushcraft R7000 w/base @ 11' above ground level
Assistants: Two furry friends named Stella and Pickles