[3830] NAQP CW K5OY SO

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K5OY SO
From: teenymax@alltel.net (teenymax@alltel.net)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:21:12 -0500 (EST)
                     North America QSO Party - CW

Call: K5OY
Operator(s): K5OY
Station: K5OY

Class: SO LP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs): 2

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:      9      8
   15:      8      6
   10:     11      7
----------------------
Total:     28     21  =  588

Club/Team: Ozark Contest Club #2

Comments:

It has been six months since my last confession...No, wait...it has been six
months since I made a radio contact.  A new job, a new child and a new
(temporary) QTH in a new town has all but put ham radio in the closet.
Actually, I set up my TS-850 in a back closet, next to the water heater.
Running a piece of coax through a PVC exhaust vent, it connects to a 33 foot
inverted V that resonates quite nicely on 14.010!  With layers of rust adhered
to my synapses, I decided to S & P for familiar calls, thus making copying CW
easier.  Great!!  There's K4OJ.  He's loud.  I send.  He responds.
D........U........what the heck is going one here!!!  I listen to his next few
Qs, embarassed that my copying skills have gone completely down the toilet.
Then, I realize and chuckle at what is going on.  A cozy feeling wraps around
me like an old, favorite blanket.  The fun of ham radio and contesting!
Running 10 watts and numerous errands limited my totals.  And a rare date with
my wife to go see a movie ended my day at 2330, but what a great time!!!
Conditions seemed great and I even got a few nice mults like MT and VO1.  Also,
since this is the first sunspot peak I've operated since being licensed, I have
now experienced, first hand, what the "old timers"  had been telling me.  You
can work 10 meters with 5 watts and a wet noodle!!!
Thanks for the Qs.
This is fun!!!
steve