[3830] NAQP SSB AB0MV SO

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB AB0MV SO
From: ab0mv@ix.netcom.com (ab0mv@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:26:11 -0500 (EST)
                     North America QSO Party - SSB

Call: AB0MV
Operator(s): AB0MV
Station:

Class: SO LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:      0      0
   80:     59     29
   40:    162     37
   20:    225     43
   15:    197     41
   10:    181     24
----------------------
Total:    824    174  =  143,376

Club/Team: PVRC-NC

Comments:

Equipment: Kenwood TS-450S/AT, Timewave DSP-59+, Heil Headset w/ HC-4 mike,
TR-log,
Antennas: KT34XA at 75 ft, 40m/80m trap dipole at 70ft

This was the last contest from the Alpha Power location in Mead, Colorado (now
moved to Boulder)---and when I say last, I mean last.  I took one of my breaks
while the rug was being shampooed around the radio station.  After the contest,
the big tower was cranked all the way down and the 40m/80m dipole disassembled
in freezing cold temperatures.

This was by far the most QSO's I've personally made in one contest.   I was
hoping to break 1000 but didn't.  I probably should have done more S&Ping
for multipliers.  I didn't hear a lot of states & provinces, especially ones
near me----not even on 40m and 80m----like I usually do.

I had tremendous fun in this contest.  NAQP is one of my favorites.  It
seems like the name exchange makes it a more friendly contest.  I was
surprised to find out some past NAQP contacts remembered my name and that I
had a 4-land call previously.  Had a lot more fun than in past NAQP's----not
only due to the better antenna but really nice to have a SSB IF filter and a
DSP filter to cut out the carriers and people tuning up on top of me.

Two high power ragchewers with a grudge against contestors took over my
frequency on 20m but excluding this exchange, I found this contest
amazingly free of harrassment, and operators were very pleasant.  People
left quickly and politely when I told them the frequency was in use.

This was officially the last contest from the Alpha Power
location in Mead, Colorado (now moved to Boulder)---and when I say last, I
mean last.  I took one of my breaks while the rug was being shampooed
around the radio station.  After the contest, Glenn AE0Q cranked the tower
all the way down in freezing cold temperatures and took down the dipole for
40m/80m.  As an aside, the last QSO ever from there was with Bert N4CW
after the contest.

This was by far the most QSO's I've personally made in one contest.   I was
hoping to break 1000 but didn't.  I probably should have done more S&Ping
for multipliers.  I didn't hear a lot of states, especially ones near
me----not even on 40m and 80m----like I usually do.

I had tremendous fun in this contest.  NAQP is one of my favorites.  It
seems like the name exchange makes it a more friendly contest.  I was
surprised to find out some past NAQP contacts remembered my name and that I
had a 4-land call previously.  Had a lot more fun on 40m and 80m than in
previous NAQP's----not only due to the better antenna but really nice to
have a SSB IF filter and a DSP filter to cut out the carriers and people
tuning up on top of me.

Two high power ragchewers with a grudge against contestors took over my
frequency on 20m but excluding this exchange, I found this contest
amazingly free of harrassment and operators were very pleasant.

Really glad I can turn in a score for PVRC from the 0-district.

Merri AB0MV   (ex-KF4OAD)