[3830] CQ160 CW K8ND SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K8ND SO HP
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (jmaass@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:13:59 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K8ND
Operator(s): K8ND
Station: K8ND

Class: SO HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): ~23

QSOs: 757  States/Provinces: 55  Countries: 31  Score: 170,022

Comments:

Equipment:
  FT1000MP, Alpha 91b
  TX Ant:  Inverted-L (45-feet vertical, ~85-feet horizontal)
  RX Ants: Four 2-wire "Shorty Beverages"

Blowing snow made the start of the contest very noisy here. Weather radar
showed that we were to be clear of the snowstorm sometime around 0500Z, so (of
course) at 0400Z the support rope for the top wire of my Inverted-L broke. No
second transmit antenna, and it was not repairable (by me, anyway) in the dark.
At the end of Night One, I had only 268 QSO and 53 mults (13 countries). (only
EA8, F, G, and Caribbean and South American countries. Caught up on my sleep,
and replaced the support rope during Saturday daylight, and got a fresh start
on Night Two.

Night Two was clear and cold, and the band was pretty quiet. I spent a lot of
time S&Ping up and down the band (something I dislike, and am forcing myself to
practice) and experimented with using the second VFO of the FT1000MP to spot
multipliers (and pileups) while CQing. I need that second radio!

Europe was pretty good on Night Two from Ohio. I worked nearly everything I
heard (I couldn't get IT9ZGY to hear me before he vanished), but I was
straining to hear many of those at the bottom of the piles. QSB was taking them
up above and below the noise. East coasters should be required to swap stations
cor this contest with midwesterners one year out of every four, to instill
humility in them!

Sunday morning I could barely hear the Pacific stations (VK, ZL, V7) that
people were calling, and never heard a JA. No joy.

Worked all states and DC, but missed several of the VE multipliers: NS, SK,
NWT, YT, PEI, NF, and LB.

Worked countries: 4X, 9A, CT3, DL, EA, EA8, F, FM, FY, G, HI, I, KH6, KL7, KP2,
KP4, LX, OK, OM, ON, P4, S5, SP, UA, UA2, V3, VP5, XE, YU, YV, ZF.

I worked 200 more QSOs, two more countries, and one more State/Province than
last year's part-time effort. But I got more sleep!