[3830] CQ160 CW N5RG SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N5RG SO HP
From: n5rg@itexas.net (n5rg@itexas.net)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:31:06 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N5RG
Operator(s): N5RG
Station: N5RG

Class: SO HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 22

QSOs: 739  States/Provinces: 55  Countries: 21  Score: 141,816

Comments:

First of all I would like to thank CQ magazine for a fun time and also for
thier article about a 160m coaxial invt. L by Ted Cohen (N4XX) that is in the
January 2001 issue. I assembled it the week before the contest and it is well
within reasonable limits of standing wave across the entire 160m band.
I am a neophyte to 160m and I am really enjoying it.
I also appreciate the help of W5TM in getting my beverages put together, K5ZD
for his article on the YCCC web page on putting up a 50 dollar beverage and the
top band reflector for all the FB info that can be had there.
The contest was an all around learning experience as I expected to work many
more JA than EU from TX. It turned out just the other way around. Only 4 JA and
18 EU. Only G3N, OT1T and OT1A from here on Friday night and no JA Sat.
morning.
Conditions were much better on Sat. night and some EU called me as I was CQing.
Signals were really good from all of them and peaking s6 to 7 around 0700.
Also was surprised to hear/work EA8/OH2BYS just before sunset on Sat. evening.
I set my goal very high I thought (100,000 points) but made that easily if I
dont have too many errors in the log.
Tnx to all for the QSOs and the patience while I tried to make out a callsign
and report. I will be back with more beverage RX stuff next season for sure.
I am sure I missed several QSOs which were trying to call from off the sides of
the beverages.

Rig:
Icom 765 with AL1200 @ 1 KW
2 880 foot beverage. 1 NW X SE and 1 NE X SW neither terminated yet.
Coaxial Inverted L as described in January CQ mag. with 30 125 foot radials.

73, Bob