[3830] CQ160 CW K0TV Multi HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K0TV Multi HP
From: wo1n@arrl.net (wo1n@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:15:12 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K0TV,WO1N
Station: K0TV

Class: Multi HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 32

QSOs: 626  States/Provinces: 52  Countries: 38  Score: 161,910

Comments:

Equipment: IC756PRO, Drake L7, Dipole at 80', NE/SW and NW/SE 500' Beverage.

The conditions were awesome the first night here in the northeast. By far the
majority of our 58 DX Q's were made the first night capping off with VK6VZ at
1137Z the first morning.

This was the first time I've done a 160 contest with high power (700W) and I
was able to generate an 81 hour the first night (0300) as well as 2 hours over
50 during the rest of the contest. We admittedly fell into DXing mode several
times. The beverages seemed to be playing extremely well. We tried a ballon
vertical the first night with 4 130' radials but it just wasn't playing as well
as the dipole. We converted it into an 80' sloper for the 2nd night, but again,
it was pretty useless. The 756Pro did an admirable job if the pre-amps were
used sparingly when listening on the beverages and 6db of attenuation was used
when listening on the dipole. Otherwise the headphones would be full of bleeps,
bops and voices (AM overload?).

Worked all states but SD and KL7, missed DC also. Missed the guys on Cypress
and the 4X, although we spent a lot of time trying to work them.

The 2nd night in the northeast was not as good, but around 0630Z or so I was
running and a G/GW would stop by about every 5th Q followed by a W6 or some
such call. Not great but certainly not bad.

Jerry and I were pleased with the first serious effort from his station. It's
been a long road for Jerry to get back on the air as he has been having to deal
with some pretty nasty neighbor problems since moving into his new QTH. I think
this operation went a long way towards rejuvenating his ham radio enthusiasm.

CU in ARRL DX,

Ken
WO1N