[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4ZV SOSB/10 HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4ZV SOSB/10 HP
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (btippett@alum.mit.edu)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 07:45:31 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 27.3

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:   2265    130
----------------------
Total:   2265    130  =  883,350

Club: PVRC

Comments:

     Very strange conditons here!  Very poor to JA but actually better to EU
than my record last year.  Here are some interesting comparisons:

                  2000          2001

NA                1.9%          2.6%
SA                4.0           4.8
EU               67.2          80.5 (1836 EU in '00 vs 1893 in '01)
AS               24.2           9.0 ( 541 JA in '00 vs  172 in '01)
AF                0.6           0.9
OC                2.2           2.3

QSO's/mults at time:
1st nite         251/29        106/19
2nd nite        1818/116      1326/118
test end        2589/127      2265/130

100+ hours to EU:  9             13
100+ hours to JA:  1              0

     The QRP prize goes to G0LIC who gave me 100 milliwatts.  His antenna was a
KT-34XA and he was a true S9 on my meter at the time!  I guess this should be
no surprise since 100 milliwatts is only 40 dB below 1 kW and many EU signals
were more than S9+40 dB!  When I worked him at 1310 UTC the second day, he said
he was trying to see how many states he could work in one day and had 12 at
that time!

     I started running on 28502 the second morning at 1129 UTC and it was
surprising how many guys...MANY hours later...claimed I was on THEIR
frequency...where were they at 1129?  I only truly lost my temper once at S5**
who parked a bit over 1 kHz below me and started CQ-ing.  I'm sure he must have
heard me but maybe he was just having a bad day and wanted to share it with
someone else.  As the late Dale Earnhart would probably say "That's
contestin'!"  At any rate I stayed there until 1902 UTC including 6 100+ hours
which is a second day record for me.

     For a nice change I had NO visits from Mr. Murphy this time!  Thanks to
God for the propagation and to all for the QSO's.  The way the sun is acting,
we may not see these conditions again on 10 for a long time!

                                                   73,  Bill  W4ZV