[3830] ARRLDX SSB K4XS SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K4XS SOAB LP
From: cqtestk4xs@aol.com (cqtestk4xs@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:39:02 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: fl
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

  160:     14     11
   80:     65     45
   40:    175     59
   20:    704     92
   15:    546    101
   10:   1145     99
----------------------
Total:   2649    407  =  3,234,429

Club: FCG

Comments:

WOW!  Outstanding conditions! Set out to break the old LP record which I think
was  2.3M. I knew the weather would be a factor from the start with a nasty
cold front approaching from the west.  The low bands were noisy even with the
beverages both nights.

I was going to takes a short nap around 0900 Saturday evening, but didn't
because the cold front and the extremely strong storms looked like they were
going to arrive around dawn. I was monitoring the weather channel all weekend
and saw the storm warnings on the red danger warning roll across the bottom
saying they would hit our area around 1230Z....just in time to screw up my EU
run.  I heard the the thunder rolling prety good....so I QRTed at 1230 for an
hour...relieved myself, grabbed a quick bite and slept for a quick 30 minutes.
When I woke up the storms were passed through although I could still hear heavy
rumbling.  Went back on at 1330, although my head was in heavy duty confusion
from the quick nap.

This was my first use of two radios and two computers and it really made a
world of difference..........only way to go.

Best QSO occurred around 2100Z Sunday when things were quieting down and I was
BSing with K8DX on 15.....There was a weak signal way in the backgrond as we
were shooting the breeze.  I took a break for a second and asked QRZ. We were
rewarded with a 7X2 for the effort!

Thanks to all the guys who QSYed for the new multiplier on various bands...and
to the guys who did'nt move, I understand.....no problem.  It must be a killer
to be an EA6 or a 9k2 and to be constantly  asked to QSY on every QSO.