[3830] ARRLDX SSB N9RV SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N9RV SOAB HP
From: pbarkey@bsu.edu (pbarkey@bsu.edu)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:25:49 -0500 (EST)

Comments:

Radio:  IC-765/Alpha 87A

Antennas:  160m:  Inv L, beverages
            80m:  dipole at 70'
            40m:  dipole at 50'
            20m:  4 el Telrex @ 70'
            15m:  5 el Telrex @ 76'
            10m:  5 el Telrex @ 82'

Was like a kid in a candy store playing with my own station in a DX contest
for the first time.  I have never considered this station to be
competitive enough to even try in the past, and the persistence of a
severe line noise to EU for the last several years made the decision
easy.

But the line noise has been solved, and when I saw what NA8V did
when operating my station last fall (while I was at K3LR) in the
WW SSB, I thought I'd give it a try.  What a blast!  Since we were
leaving on a long-planned family vacation, I could not operate the
full period (the log stopped at 0630z Sun morning, with a few breaks
before), but I really enjoyed the contest.

Among the highlights:

40 meters!  I could not believe the number of times I was told
that I had a "big signal" on 40 with my crummy little dipole.
It seemed to do fine to EU, and with beverages for RX it was
really fun to go to that band.  My memories of operating 40 SSB
without a yagi in the 1970's are not so good ...

The JA activity.  The Asian opening on Sat night was outstanding.
Several times I thought that the bands had died, only to hear
them open again.  Ran on 10m until 0230z, which is pretty good
for out here.

My little 10 meter beam (23 foot boom) really seemed to work well.
During the end of the EU opening on Saturday it seemed to be doing
especially well.

I wish I could have worked the whole contest.  It would have been
fun to see at least three full bore HP efforts in Indiana (W9RE
and K9NW were all over) in a contest, when there have been only
one for so many years before!