[3830] BERU 2001 - VE2ZP Open category

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] BERU 2001 - VE2ZP Open category
From: VE2ZP@sympatico.ca (Dave Goodwin VE2ZP/VE9CB)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:30:02 -0500
I had a great BERU.  Here's my claimed score, as calculated by 9H1EL's CTJ
logging software:

Band  QSOs Bonus Points
80m    28    28     905
40m   160    37   1,540
20m   239    67   2,535
15m   199    53   2,055
10m   211    43   1,915
---   ---   ---   -----
All   878   228   8,950

If I had made this score last year, I would have placed second.  Sadly for
me, this isn't last year.  I suspect scores are generally up and If I'm
lucky, I'll come in about the same position as last year (#6).

Here in Canada, I think my closest competition was Dave VE3OI.  Our QSO
numbers seemed to see-saw for most of the contest.  We both trailed John
VE3EJ at a respectful distance.  At about 1140z, I heard Johhn give out QSO
#1002, about 150 QSOs ahead of me.

There seemed to be more activity this year.  The well of Gs and Ms seemed to
be deeper, which is good news for any participant outside the UK, and
activity in both VK and VE seemed up.  I heard and worked more VUs in this
contest than I can ever recall.

ZLs seemed fewer in number, but the few who were on compensated with
enthusiasm.  With the dependable exception of Brian 9J2BO, Africans were
very scarce, and activity from South Africa seemed to have dropped from last
year.

I found the high bands generally good, and the low bands generally poor.
Between about 0500 and 0800, 20m seemed to be the only band really open.  I
found it frustrating to work VKs or ZLs on 20 that I needed for bonuses on
other bands, but those other bands seemed dead in that direction.  80m was
really quite disappointing, with Gs and Ms hard to run and propagation to ZL
and VK very hit-and-miss.

My QSO rates were more consistent this time, and were as follows:

12z 86
13z 70
14z 69
15z 41
16z 45
17z 48
18z 50
19z 20
20z 41
21z 28
22z 33
23z 65
00z 46
01z 27
02z 21
03z 23
04z 18
05z 25
06z 23
07z 29
08z 12
09z  8
10z 14
11z 51

Rig: TS-850SAT + TL-922 amplifier
     TS-140 barefoot (possibly damaged the '140 rx)

Antennas: 10/15/20: KT-34xa up 85ft (27m)
          40: vertical dipole
          80: bent vertical dipole

Dave VE2ZP