[3830] WPX SSB G4PIQ SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB G4PIQ SOAB LP
From: g4piq@btinternet.com (g4piq@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:22:27 -0500 (EST)
                     CQWW WPX - SSB

Call: G4PIQ
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4PIQ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:      5
   80:     47
   40:     28
   20:     85
   15:    137
   10:     81
-------------------------------
Total:    383 x    252  =  210,168

Club: Martlesham DX & Contest Group

Comments:

Rig :  FT901DM. 100W where the match enabled me to load to 250mA!
Ant :  Single dipole in roof space (20ft agl) for 10/15m (equally poor on
       both bands - must be well detuned!)
       About 80ft wire sloping from 15ft to 2ft for 20-160m!

Well - here is the report from the G4PIQ mega station......

Far too knackered after a lousy couple of weeks at work to consider doing
the contest seriously as M6T, and anyhow, S7 of noise to JA on 15/10 makes it
all
a bit frustrating anyhow. Had a stack of other stuff to do over the weekend
as well, so decided just to work a few people with my serious station at
home. Came home from a dinner party durng the early hours of Sunday morning
and threw wire out of window to work some stuff on bands other then 15/10.
Interestingly when I got in about 0200 on Saturday morning 15 was still
well open to South America even on a diddly antenna which was a huge
transformation from the ARRL events. Didn't even have an ATU here so just
used the good old 901 with the antenna poked straight in the back - who
knows how bad the match was but I sure couldn't load to the right levels
everywhere!

Did about 11 hours operating in total which was more than I had expected,
but did not catch the most productive times at all - just the slots where I
had some time. This was definitely not the sort of entry which I've done a
lot of recently, but it was actually great fun - very different from a high
power entry, but every QSO becomes a challenge. Just as absorbing as
running high power and big antennas. High points had to be managing to work
A61AJ on 80, huge signals from WL7E and TX8G on 15, managing about 10 JAs
on 15, quite a lot of West Coasters on 20, and managing to crack a
surprising number of pile ups. However - at least half the stations called
couldn't hear me!