[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6YX M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6YX M/S HP
From: mikeh@airflash.com (mikeh@airflash.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:12:30 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N6DE,W6LD,N7MH,WJ6O,AD6FX
Station:

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SCV
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:      5      3
   80:     46     26
   40:    146     45
   20:    290     87
   15:    719     98
   10:    647    100
----------------------
Total:   1853    359  =  1,994,604

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Yaesu FT1000MP, FT1000MP-Mark V, ICOM IC761, TR-Log 6.57
160M inverted vee @ 60'
80M inverted vee @ 60', 80M dipole @ 60'
40M 4 el KLM @ 60', 2 el HyGain 402BA at 50'
20M 6 el KLM @ 60'
15M 6 el Telrex @ 70', 5 el HyGain 155CA @ 30'
10M 6 el Telrex @ 70', 5 el HyGain 105CA @ 30'
KLM KT34XA @ 60', Mosley PRO67A @ 60'

We tried to break 2M points and thought we had done it except we lost 2 mults
while fixing our TR logging notes post-contest.

The weekend before the contest we finally fixed our KT34XA whose driven element
had loosened and was pointing vertical.  It ended up as our best 10-meter
antenna into Europe.  We pointed our PRO-67A with the frozen rotator at South
America.  And we raised a 402BA and pointed it at South America, but ended up
never using it because the existing hard line to the tower had a stuck
connector that wouldn't budge even after applying many chemicals to it.

Conditions on the low bands were definitely not as good as on CW.  We
appreciated having Dave, WJ6O/G3WGN, helping us out.  His 80 meter experience
at M6T, making 2000+ Q's on 80 in CQWW, was not good preparation for 80 meters
on the US west coast at a station with no receiving antenna and a low inverted
vee.  Maybe Dave will help us build the 4-square we've always wanted (or he'll
drive the extra distance to N6RO next time around :)

-Mike, N7MH