[3830] VE6FI WPX 01 SSB MM

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VE6FI WPX 01 SSB MM
From: dcoolica@planet.eon.net (Denis Coolican)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:11:33 -0600
                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 2001

      Call:      VE6FI
      Category:  Multi Multi
      Power:     High Power
      Band:      All Band
      Mode:      SSB
      Country:   Canada

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160       14       53   3.8        1
       80      140      517   3.7       18
       40      446     1928   4.3      133
       20     1229     3093   2.5      345
       15     1355     3632   2.7      378
       10     1278     2868   2.2      248
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   4462    12091   2.7     1123  =  13,578,193

Operators:  Evan VE6FI, Denis VE6AQ, Gerry VE6LB,
Bryan VE6NA, Norbert VE6ZA,
Operators Partial - Heinz VE6LDX, Paul VE6PY, Yota VE6YOT, Mike VE6VIS,
Herman VE6ADD, Martin VE6ARA

Equipment Description: 1000D, 1000MP, 781, 756,
Amps:  3 Home Brew, Henry
Antennas: see http://www.telusplanet.net/public/telwest/ve6fi.html

This year we were actually prepared for the contest when it started. We had
to change the networking back to the old COM ports from Ethernet on the day
of the contest as the Ethernet system sure messed up the count with WPX. So
much for your efforts Denis!  Also had an amplifier smell a bit funny
before the contest and also develop some RF arcing across the plate tuning
capacitor.  Trying to run too much power Denis! When those RF arc tracks
form it is had to remove them!

Conditions were a bit frightening when we started but things seem to settle
down and conditions seem to peak on Sunday.  15 and 20 had all the
Europeans sounding like locals with big signals all over. What about the 10
meter opening to western Europe on Saturday night!  And 15 stayed open 24
hrs per day. Good stuff.

Denis probably got the Horses Rear Award for trying to chase the Americans
off his frequency at 14.190! Denis it is 2001 and 20 years since 14.200 was
the cut off for the American phone band!

Even though we had no schedule, the stations seemed to be occupied quit
well and everyone seem to get along so well. There even seemed to be time
for a swap meet in the hallway on the last day so the builders were
planning their next projects.

Thanks for the effort and thanks to all who worked us.

Denis / Evan   VE6FI