[3830] WPX CW NJ4M(K1TO) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NJ4M(K1TO) SOAB HP
From: k1to@aol.com (k1to@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:50:07 -0400 (EDT)
                     CQWW WPX - CW

Call: NJ4M
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:      0
   80:      0
   40:    404
   20:   1111
   15:   1129
   10:    597
-------------------------------
Total:   3241 x    833  =  7,542,815

Club: FLORIDA CONTEST GROUP

Comments:

Unexpected full effort - my first ever all-band WPX operation.  Intended to
simply make a bunch of points for the FCG part-time, but decided to get serious
about halfway through.  At that point, I hooked up the 2nd rig and used it
barefoot for the last half.

No thunderstorm activity this time which made the contest operable.  Most
summer contests are just not worth planning a serious effort in here in FL, so
this was a welcome surprise.  Seemed like condx were pretty good, with some
good bursts into Europe on Sunday on 10M that seemed to be limited to our
portion of the US.  That too was a pleasant surprise as this weekend was 27/55
days after the huge storm and I expected another total wipeout.  15 was open to
Europe virtually all night long and I even heard a few Europeans on 10 just
after local midnight.

Off time strategy was hilarious.  Started 5 minutes late.  Took over an hour to
eat dinner starting at 0257Z while things still hot.  Stopped at 0936Z and
hoped to nap for 1.5 hours, but it turned into 3+ hours.  Took nearly 3 prime
hours off early afternoon getting things arranged.  Again broke for dinner mid
evening.  Had already taken nearly 11 hours off when I sat down this AM, so
operated for nearly 12 hours today before ending early.  Having the 2nd rig
today made the time fly by.

Had not tried CT ahead of time and had a quirky start where every QSO was
changed to 20M after it was entered.  Switched versions later...

NJ4M was tough for others to copy.  Even slowing down to a crawl didn't always
convince them that I was not N1VM!

40 - 2L @ 87' (40-2CD)
20 - 4L @ 93' (204BAS)
15 - 4L @ 50' (homebrew design, 24' boom)