[3830] WPX CW AJ1I(K5ZD) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AJ1I(K5ZD) SOAB HP
From: k5zd@contesting.com (k5zd@contesting.com)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:19:47 -0400 (EDT)
                     CQWW WPX - CW

Call: AJ1I
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:      0
   80:      5
   40:    480
   20:   1156
   15:   1422
   10:    301
-------------------------------
Total:   3364 x    852  =  8,270,364

Club: YCCC

Comments:

Conditions were much better than expected.  High bands were so good that never
heard much activity on low bands.  Big line of thunderstorms and rain static
prevented doing much on 40 the second night, so I missed a bunch of 6 pointers.

Great competition in SOAB category this year.  A 160 QSO first hour gave me a
great start and provided the motivation to work the second radio hard to stay
ahead of the other guys.  Serial numbers let me keep track of the competition,
but with the off times you never knew if you were really ahead or not.  Plus
with everyone hiding behind 2x1 calls, it was hard to tell who exactly was
competition or not!  Having most of the MS entries sending numbers by band,
left just the single ops to send those tall 4-digit numbers (that require lots
of repeats...).

Took 1 hour off in the first 24.  Then used the rest during the thunderstorms
and the last 4 hours.  Had not prepared very well, so was falling asleep all
the first day.  Was much better on Sunday after two naps.

More USA guys should discover this contest.  The activity in the rest of the
world is outstanding.  It is especially fun to work so many Russian and Eastern
Eu stations.  Those guys know CW!

Almost no JA on the first day.  Great conditions on both 20 and 15 to JA the
second day.  But where was the activity?

Nice to see 10m open the second day.  From here it was only open to southern
and western Europe so rates were usually better on 15 where the Russians were
very loud.

Broke W4AN's USA record from 1999 by 4.3%.  Will be up to the log checkers now.

Thanks to YCCC for allowing me to use the club call.