[3830] WPX CW K5KG SO(A)AB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K5KG SO(A)AB HP
From: k5kg@arrl.net (k5kg@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:49:50 -0400 (EDT)
                     CQWW WPX - CW

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: K5KG

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Florida
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:      1
   80:     52
   40:    335
   20:    497
   15:    711
   10:    471
-------------------------------
Total:   2067 x    737  =  4,266,493

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

This was my first major contest [other than the ever popular FQP!] from the new
Florida QTH.

Antennas:
160 - Inv L
 80 - Inv V
 40 - 2L EF240X @73'
 20, 15, 10 - C31XR @61'
 10 - 6L F12 @32' fixed south

Rig:
IC 781 & IC4KL - 1kw
Timewave 599ZX

At this new QTH I have been bothered by local noise that comes and goes.
However, this weekend the noise was there with a never-let-up vengeance,
forcing me to use the radio's noise blanker and every imaginable feature of the
599zx to work through the bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  The noise was most bothersome on
15 meters, many times making the weak ones unworkable.

Despite the noise - which I will be on a mission to locate this week - the
contest was excellent.  Conditions, although not great, were ok.  10 meters was
fun in the late afternoon when I pointed the antenna into the sun to work
Europeans and even a loud 4X.  For the most part, I found Asians to be pretty
weak. I only managed to hear and work the B5 one time, and I did not have any
good JA runs.  I was pleased to find contest manners to be outstanding.  The
few times I had to tell stations "QRL pse QSY", I got no resistance.  And I
tried to do the same.

This was my first contest using DX Telnet with Write Log.  The Telnet spots
contained many call sign mistakes, especially whith 6Y1A, who was spoted time
and time again as BY1A!  The FG/russians were invariable posted incorrectly, as
were "o" and "0" in call signs.  Also, having world-wide spots is not a good
thing - such as, the JT1 being posted by a JA!

Write Log's way of handling spots leaves a lot to be desired, and I wish the
developers would study how CT handles spots and use the same methods.  There is
no way of calling a spot off the list with a ctrl- or alt- command; it requires
a mouse click [with the same hand that is using the paddle].  And I could find
no way of deleting known incorrect spot [such as BY1A] off the spot window.  If
anyone knows solutions, please let me know.  At one point I had to reboot the
computer which caused Write Log's time-on, time-off counter to reset.  This too
is not a good thing, and I will make a request that that be changed.

And then there is always next year!  Tnx everyone for the Q's.

73, George, K5KG

P.S.  Look for us in from J75KG in IARU again this year.