[3830] NA Sprint CW K5MR(N5TJ) HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K5MR(N5TJ) HP
From: n5tj@contesting.com (n5tj@contesting.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 02:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
                     NA Sprint - CW

Call: K5MR
Operator: N5TJ
Station: K5MR

Power: HP
QTH: TX
Radios: SO2R

   80:     46
   40:    132
   20:    143
----------------------
Total:    321 Qs   54 Mults =  17,334

Club/Team: Austin Powers

Comments:

First time K5MR has been QRV since WW CW last year. Only antennas that survived
the winter ice storm are Telrex 15M and 20M beams. Steve and I put up inverted
vees for 40/80 so I could operate.

Highlights:
1) My mult total - ZF/TG/XE/KP4/HP all nice ones, all in the contest (QSO# >
10). Missed AR, KS, WY, VE1, VE5, VE8.
Thought I heard "KS" once, never got the call. And N5RZ was working N0AH (WY?)
on 80 but could not hear N0AH.

Lowlights:
1) One 20M beam - 6el at 100'. Pattern too sharp, kept turning it from NE to NW
and back. Should have put up a dipole for 20 too.
2) Felt weak on 40 (inv vee at 65')
3) Felt weak on 80 (inv vee at 90')
4) QRN !!!!

Yeah, I know it was noisey for you guys on 80 too. But most of that noise was
coming from down here. The sky to the N and W from K5MR was filled with
constant flashes of lightning. QRN on 80M never went below s9+10, crashes
peaked to s9+30. Did not work a single W1/2/3 on 80. (Worked K1KI on 80 last
Feb from home w/ 40M dipole in the attic and 100W).

At least the lightning wasn't directly overhead  :-)