[3830] WAE SSB OG1F(OH1NOA) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB OG1F(OH1NOA) SOAB HP
From: oh1noa@qsl.net (oh1noa@qsl.net)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 02:29:59 -0400 (EDT)
                     WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: OG1F
Operator(s): OH1NOA
Station: OH1AF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:     26      0     48
   40:    194    181     96
   20:    503    593    106
   15:    671    822    116
   10:    201    291     96
-------------------------------
Total:   1595   1887    460  =  1,601,720

Club/Team:

Comments:

TS850SAT + Alpha 91b
IC-735 + HL2K

80m: GP
40m: 3/2el yagis
20m: 4/4el yagis, 4el yagi
15m: 4/4el yagis, 4el yagi
10m: 6el yagi

I finished 25k pts above last year's claimed score though had 297 qsos and 22
QTCs less (but 45 more multipliers). Propagation was not so hot as it was last
year, especially 10&15m were not so good - strange, because solar flux was sky
high.

80m:
my "usual" pathetic showing, nothing from Far East worked or heard. Western
stations seemed to have copying difficulties. South America was strong. I
always save 6 hours of rest period to the end, because Monday is a working day
here. So no 80m qsos on Sunday evening. South Europe seems to spot DXs here
about 2 hours after our sunrise, big handicap especially with Caribbean.
40m:
this was the first try with our new 3 over 2 el stack. Worked ok, great signals
from US and Japan. There seems to be new jammer (a little bit like famous
"Woodpecker") on the band: QRM 59+40dB 7040-7090 kHz !!
20m:
band was closed second night but opened in the morning
15m:
180 qsos less than last year - JA signals were very good but solar flares
disturbed US openings, not much west coasters worked.
10m:
170 qsos less than in 2000 - two short US openings both days. JAs were loud! On
Sunday there was very interesting propagation - the highlight was T30XU peaking
59+20dB over the pole. V85GA at 1449z was also an unexpected late qso.

WAEDC is certainly the most interesting contest of the year. Unfortunately this
might be my last serious WAEDC if DARC will change the rules (=US/VE call areas
will be multipliers) because the new rules will ruin all the winning chances
from Northern Europe - especially when propagation will decline.

CU in SAC CW next weekend!

73, Timo OH1NOA @OG1F