[3830] NA Sprint CW AA4LR LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW AA4LR LP
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (aa4lr@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 14:36:27 -0400 (EDT)
                     NA Sprint - CW

Call: AA4LR
Operator: AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Power: LP
QTH: GA

   80:      6   .3
   40:     31   1.5
   20:     38   1.7
----------------------
Total:     75 Qs   34 Mults =  2,550

Club/Team: SECC / Y'All

Comments:

Equipment & Antennas:
Kenwood TS430S running 100 watts
20 year old homebrew keyer
A3S at 49' (20m), R7000 at 8' (40m) 125 foot doublet at 20' (40m & 80m)

Bill, W4AN organized a bunch of sprint teams, and asked us to estimate the
number of Qs we'd contriute, I looked over my old logs. My previous best effort
in the CW spring was 35 Qs, 22 mults. That was back in 1989. I told Bill to
expect 50, and I'm pleased to have provided more.

 I got a late start, coming home after 0030Z due to some family obligations.

I had just gotten my A3S up the morning, with a lot of help from K9AY. Since I
was eager to try it out, I spent extra time on 20m. It appears to work well,
much better than the R7000. I only used the R7000 for a couple of Qs on 40m.

The sprint is the most difficult contest around, and is even harder on low
power. W4AN provided some helpful suggestions, which greatly improved my score.
Of course, the biggest help would be able to copy 40+ wpm in my head without
fills....