[3830] WA Salmon Run W7DX Mobile Mixed LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WA Salmon Run W7DX Mobile Mixed LP
From: hwardsil1@mindspring.com (hwardsil1@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 02:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
                     Washington State Salmon Run

Call: W7DX
Operator(s): N0AX, WA0RJY
Station: W7DX

Class: Mobile Mixed  Power: LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
-----------------------------------
Total:     356      394       86  =  190,232

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

These are estimates made from the hand logs on the ferry ride home.  A simply
astoundingly good time - 1002 miles and 19 counties.  It would have been 20
counties if we had been willing to negotiate some bad-looking roads to
Klickitat County or if we'd had another hour to get back to King.  Anyway, we
had a great time and saw a whole lot of beautiful country in Eastern
Washington, even dipping into Idaho for a few minutes.

Nothing fancy on the equipment - an IC-735 and a batch of Hamsticks.  A
miniature Paddlette KP-4 paddle/keyer really saved the day on CW, too.  Having
two operators to share driving and contesting made the whole trip a blast.  It
was fun listening to the operator work the pileups.  We never expected to get
close to 700 QSOs, so this total is a great surprise.

Many called in multiple times as we changed counties and modes - some got to be
old friends by Sunday afternoon and we look forward to their QSLs.  We also
visited the County Hunters Net on 14336 several times and came away with a
basket of QSOs each time - thanks to them for accomodating our random
appearances.  Best DX was being called by ZK1TUG and K3J on Saturday and for
HA1AG to work us in several counties and on both modes - we were very glad to
provide him with Pend Oreille and others.  We missed only Africa for a WAC and
ME/RI for a WAS.

We'll definitely see you all again next year - Jack and I agreed that putting
the remaining 20 counties on the air in 2002 is an admirable goal.  San Juan
may just take a special, leisurely single-county trip in 2003, though.

Thanks to everyone for chasing us around the state and to all the other WA
stations that kept activity high on a difficult weekend to be enthusiastic
about anything.

73, Ward N0AX