[3830] CQWW SSB VP9/W6PH SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VP9/W6PH SOAB LP
From: w6ph@aol.com (w6ph@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:06:47 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station:

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:
   80:    307      9     27
   40:    335     17     51
   20:    577     24     82
   15:    931     26     94
   10:    992     23     83
-------------------------------
Total:   3142     99    337  =  3,331,476

Club/Team: YCCC

Comments:

Rig:  TS930S + Piexx, DVK-100, CT
Ant:  Cushcraft AV5 (5 band vertical)
I carried all my gear with me to Bermuda, so I used a fairly simple setup.
The antenna went up faster than the beer cooled down.  It was a great
weekend.  It is real tough to call people with a call like this.  A lot
of the time I felt like I was QRP when loud stations would continue to CQ
after several calls.  It would have been nice to have an antenna with some
gain.  I enjoyed QSYing on many occasions to give multipliers on other bands.
With the Piexx digital board in my 930 I could be back to my CQing frequency
in 15 seconds.  It was tough to find any frequency to use for CQing and I
spent most of Saturday on 28940.  One guy told me that he didn't know the
band went that high!  It was nice to work the west coast on 75 meters.  W6RJ
sounded like a W1.  The next strongest signal was W6KK followed by W6BH and
W6UC.  Also nice to work the 1s, 2s, and 3s on 10 meters this time.  Signals
were weak but readable.   My host was VP9GE who isn't very active, but is a
real gentleman and was very helpful and cooperative.  Bottom line:  I had
a lot of fun!