[3830] CQWW SSB T88CC M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB T88CC M/M HP
From: n6zz@zianet.com (n6zz@zianet.com)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:20:53 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: T88CC
Operator(s): JA1WSX, AB6BH, K6JL, N6AA, N6TW, N6ZZ, W6XD
Station: T88CC

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Palau
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:      7      4      5
   80:    277     20     34
   40:   1078     33     87
   20:   2793     38    145
   15:   3645     35    129
   10:   1869     37     95
-------------------------------
Total:   9669    167    495  =  18,748,502

Club/Team:

Comments:

This little operation started out in Dayton, where N6AA and N6ZZ met JA1WSX,
and learned that he had taken some equipment and antennas to Palau, to a hotel
operated by T88GN.  After some email exchanges, we determined that a
multi-multi operation from Zone 27 would be feasible.

All antennas were about 15 feet above the roof of a small, three-story hotel,
although we did get permission to stretch one end of the 160 meter antenna
across to the next building....which happened to be the police station.  Just
try and do that in the U.S. sometime!

Bands/Primary operator/Equipment/Comments.....

160/80  K6JL  TS950/AL80, dipole -- Lots of QRN in this part of the world, and
most of the dipole was only 15 feet above the hotel roof.  The element of the
160 meter antenna that wasn't extended over to the police station was draped
around the guy ropes for the high band antenna towers,

40  W6XD  TS850/Dentron Clipperton L, 2-el yagi -- Despite a fairly high SWR,
maybe due to the effects from the rebar in the concrete roof, Art felt that the
antenna performed pretty well.  However, it's a long road from Palau to Europe
and the States!

20  N6AA  TS850/JRC2000, 4-el yagi --  Maintaining a frequency on this band for
any length of time is a challenge, especially when most stations don't have
their antennas pointed in your direction, and generally don't know you're
there. After 24 hours of battle, Dick lost about 90% of his voice.  Operations
on the second day yielded many reports of poor audio....which was traceable
directly to the operator, whose voice resembled that of Kermit the Frog.

15  N6ZZ  TS850/JRC2000, 3-el tribander -- Despite numerous positive checks on
the band earlier in the week, the audio in the monitor sounded crummy from the
beginning of the contest.  After getting a distortion report every few QSOs, we
changed mikes.  No effect.  We turned off the amplifier.  Slight improvement,
but still sounded bad.  We changed radios.  No effect.  It was finally
determined that with 4 transmitters operating, the line voltage had lowered
enough so that the power supply for the TS850 was no longer providing enough
voltage for the radio.  Turning up the voltage solved the problem.  For the
most part, signals from the states weren't all that loug.  And we did have some
line noise that was somewhat pesky at times.

10  JA1WSX  TS450/Some Yaesu amp, 5-el yagi.  Openings on the first day to the
U.S. were excellent.  However, it seemed like conditions took a dive the second
day, and the band wasn't nearly as productive.

While the primary operators are listed above, there was a fair amount of chair
shuffling as the contest progressed.  N6TW and AB6BH rotating among the
operating positions to enable the rest of us to eat and sleep.  Ah, the
luxuries of multi-multi operation!

I suspect that the continental breakdown of our operation is different from
most:

      Continent List  2001 CQ WW SSB - T88CC

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    30    17    12    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  USA calls   =      3    57   226   736   813   852     0     0     0   2687
  VE calls    =      0     2    15    57    63    59     0     0     0    196
  N.A. calls  =      0     1    16    33    38    24     0     0     0    112
  S.A. calls  =      0     1    30    80    42    27     0     0     0    180
  Euro calls  =      0    16   110   896   682   105     0     0     0   1809
  Afrc calls  =      0     1     7    15    17     9     0     0     0     49
  Asia calls  =      0    22   101   212   310    82     0     0     0    727
  JA calls    =      1   144   522   667  1572   662     0     0     0   3568
  Ocen calls  =      3    33    51    97   108    49     0     0     0    341

  Total calls =      7   277  1078  2793  3645  1869     0     0     0   9669

Nobody would go to Palau with an expectation of winning this contest...too far
from Europe, too far from the U.S.  And if it weren't for the JAs, it probably
would have gotten pretty boring.  However, Palau is a nice place to visit, and
the folks that you work when operating from there sure appreciate activity from
a somewhat rare place,  Zone 27 is the 38th Zone that N6AA has operated the
CQWW contest from, and the 34th Zone that N6ZZ has operated the contest from.

T88GN let us put up whatever antennas we wanted on the hotel roof, and JA1WSX
made our life incredibly simple by having hauled equipment and antennas down
from Japan over the past few years.  If T88CC is in your contest log, a good
deal of the credit goes to those two gentlemen!  K6VNX will handle QSLs for the
T88CC contest operation, as well as for our pre-contest operations where T88JF,
T88MZ, T88PG, T88TW, T88XE and T88ZY were exercised.

Thanks and 73,  Phil - N6ZZ