[3830] CQWW SSB NS4T SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB NS4T SOAB LP
From: knason@emeraldis.com (knason@emeraldis.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:34:29 -0500 (EST)

RIG: TS570
ANT: A4S AT 25ft
     270' Horizontal loop at 35ft
     40M Inverted-vee at 35ft
     20M Inverted-vee at 35ft
     80M Top loaded 33' vert
     40M 1/4 Wave vert
     20M 1/4 Wave vert

This contest I learned there are many very smart people writing
books and posting things about antennas and contesting.  Thank
you to all of you who take the time to do so.  I think I'm going to
go reread quite a few things now that I know just how smart they are!

For example:  My common sense told me, and many have written, that a
1 or 2 db difference in gain isn't really enough to make any noticeable
difference at the other end of the propagation path. After trying for a
few minutes to break through several pileups I would switch antenna's.
Although I could just barely notice a slight increase on the signal
strength meter (and then only after watching the meter for a minute or two
could I say "It seems to bounce a bit higher now and then")I would often
break through the pile up on the first or second call on  the new antenna.
Used a voice keyer with the same transmitter settings on each antenna ruled
out any difference there.  And it happened time after time so I don't think
it's a coincidence.  Since it really does seem to make a difference, now I've
a lot more work do do modeling Antenna's for the future farm!

I also found a big difference between using a Heil HC-4 and HC-5 element.
Even with the DSP transmit options available in the TS570 the HC-4 was better.
Guess I need to go back and rerecord all those wave files I made for the
digital voice keyer.  Unfortunately I made them with the HC-5 element on
the boom mike and not the HC-4 in the headset.

Had a great time!  Only major problem was illness.  Some kind of bug kept
me from being on as much as I'd like.  Came down with it 3 days before the
contest and still have it 4 days later.  Sleep seemed much more important
than contesting every now and then.  Sunday morning propagation made it
seem a good time to sleep anyway.