[3830] ARRL SS CW K3MM SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW K3MM SO HP
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:18:52 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: K3MM
Operator(s): K3MM
Station: K3MM

Class: SO HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:      0
   80:    119
   40:    570
   20:    456
   15:    105
   10:     38
-------------------------------
Total:   1288 x     80  =  206,080

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Never had to work the 2nd radio so hard in a contest...except maybe NAQP!
Rates were pretty flat, even on Saturday night.  Only good thing was finding
all the rare mults on an early Saturday sweep of 15 meters.  After just a few
hours, had everything except VE4, which I finally found 3 in a row on 15 late
Sunday.

The SFI was so high this year you could almost translate band strategy up one
band (or double the frequency), and you'd be correct.  Angles on 20 were so
high that my low tribander at 38 feet by itself was beating all other singles
and combinations of beams during the day!  Would have been interesting to try a
BOP configuration!  Low dipole on 40 was also the breadwinner for that band.

80 was good, but noisy and short as usual, so most people stuck with 40 at
night, where the band was wide open with less fuss.  20 also had good coverage
on short and long hops at the same time.  15 and 10 were quite good, but prop
was a bit spottier, so 20 was the place to be unless you were looking for the
DX multipliers or operated from west of the Mississippi.

Congrats to Howie, N4AF, for the top PVRC SO score!  He got off to a big lead
the first night and I couldnt quite catch him.  ...Had lots of fun trying tho!

CU in 2 weeks!

Ty K3MM