[3830] ARRL SS CW K7BG SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW K7BG SO LP
From: k7bg@arrl.net (k7bg@arrl.net)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:12:59 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: K7BG
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO LP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:    114
   40:    162
   20:    271
   15:    129
   10:    528
-------------------------------
Total:   1204 x     80  =  192,640

Club: Northern Rockies DX CLub

Comments:

Two years ago was my best start ever with 109 and 101 respectfully in the first
two hours on 10 meters. I never did break 100/hr this year, but the bands
played on. Ten was definitely the Ex-Lax band with the 105CA at 65 feet fixed
on the Atlantic seaboard doing a great job for me. Other antennas included a
TH3 at 27 feet, a 1015DB at 88 feet (dummy load in this contest) and a 205BA at
83 feet. On 40 the 402CD at 95 feet came in handy with slopers on 80 rounding
out the farm. I strapped what was left of a 3 el Cushcraft 15m antenna on my
climbing belt and hauled it up the tower a few hours before the contest
started. It was only 2 elements, but it worked pretty well on 15m fixed ESE.
Used a TS940 and 930 at the other end of the coax.

Part of the fun of this contest is finding a W8 that you haven't worked yet as
the contest winds down.

I just got home from a 2 day road trip and reading all the input about changing
this test is kind of dissapointing. This contest still has some life in it for
another 5 years or so. It will QRT on it's own not too long after that. Then we
can change it to two phone weekends and the only domestic CW test will be
straightkey night. Reading K7SS's straight key adventure reminded me of my
first 8 years of operating. The only CW instrument I used was a radio shack
straight key. In 1983 I bought an AEA keyer and thought I died and went to
heaven. Those were fun days, and my right forearm still looks like Popeye's
from all that pounding. I was WN7CFL/WB7CFL back then.

My goal the last few years has been to try and break 200k running low power.
Once I do that you guys can change this puppy and I'll take up crocheting.

I never could understand why anybody runs high power in this test. I know for
me, I would probably end up blowing something up switching bands, etc. Maybe it
is worth another couple hundred Q's, but I don't know where they would come
from. Where do you guys find those extra stations to work??

Anyway, I had a lot of fun and thank goodness for Fred (KS7T) 150 miles south
of me who I found cqing late Saturday or I never would have made the sweep.

Nice to hear all those good old callsigns and swipers. Thanks to all.

Matt--K7BG