[3830] ARRL SS CW WP3R(KE3Q) SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW WP3R(KE3Q) SO HP
From: ke3q@msn.com (ke3q@msn.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:34:22 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: WP3R
Operator(s): KE3Q
Station: WP3R

Class: SO HP
QTH: WA3FET/KP4
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:      0
   80:      8
   40:    105
   20:    381
   15:    369
   10:    659
-------------------------------
Total:   1522 x     80  =  243,520

Club: POTOMAC VALLEY RADIO CLUB

Comments:

WA3FET, the site/station owner; WP3R, local host/local support; NP4A, KP4TG and
W3MJ physical and technical support in building and maintaining Jim's station
all have worked very hard starting in '98 to make this place into something.

We continue to upgrade one thing and another to avoid lightning damage -- a
strike took out some things a couple weeks for SS this time.

Thunderstorms during SS CW and S6 noise on 10M were challenges this time.
The balun on the 10M yagi was apparently blown, necessitating a repair on
Friday.  Interestingly, direct coax feed with pigtails resulted in 1:1 SWR on
the split DE design.  While troubleshooting, I figured whatever was causing the
high SWR, I should be able to fix it on the simple 6-element that was just 30'
up the Rohn 55 (on top of a 300-foot cone-shaped hill).  Otherwise, I was
looking at my option of blowing off 10 and starting on 15 and figured that
might work out okay too.  Climbing up and down the hill many times during
initial plug-in of antennas and switchbox, troubleshooting and repair phases
often causes leg muscle cramping -- I always stop at the grocery for bananas to
help with that, and needed them this time too.  The 10M problem kept me off the
beach most (but not all) of Friday.

As usual, KP4 was the toughest section for me to find but NP4A and a few others
eventually found me and then NP4Z came on to run a pileup toward the end of
Sunday.

Tnx for the QSOs.