[3830] ARRL SS CW N4VI SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW N4VI SO LP
From: n4vi@arrl.net (n4vi@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 22:54:14 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: N4VI
Operator(s): N4VI
Station: N4VI

Class: SO LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:      8
   40:    113
   20:     86
   15:    142
   10:    108
-------------------------------
Total:    457 x     76  =  69,464

Club:

Comments:

Rig TS870

Antennas:
80/40/20/15/10:  40m dipole fed with open wire line

Tuner:  MFJ 949E

On some bands I had both the 870 autotuner and the MFJ tuner in line.

Op time:  12 hours

Sections missed:  NM, NWT, WY, Quebec.  Heard NM numerous time, but couldn't
track them down.  Pileup on vy1vy on 15m Sunday afternoon was just too big.

Sections not heard:  WY, Quebec

We moved out of the condo back to our remodeled (rebuilt is a better word)
house the Friday prior to CW SS.  With everything going on I just couldn't get
any antennas up.  So Saturday afternoon after the (phone) contest had started I
put up a 40 meter dipole up about 30 feet and fed it with open wire line.  Of
course, what get's lost in such a simple statement is the throwing rocks over
trees, etc!  That in itself would be worth a video!

Awards go to the following ops:

w6een on 40m ssb:  Band conditions changed and a booming signal turned into a
signal in the mud.  Doug said I'll try as long as you want.  It actually didn't
take very long, but what a great attitude!

k0srl who I chased down to get IA. we had to qsy twice to find a spot to "make
it happen".  He hung in there, of course I worked a few more IA's before the
test was over.

Biggest scare:

Sunday morning, I went to the "ss01ph" directory and there was NO log!  Luckily
it was in the ss01cw directory!  I was in quite the panic for a few minutes.

Highlights:  @0845z worked 24 stations in 14 minutes with my 40m "dipole" at
30'

                70Q hour @ 1700z on 10m

This was a casual effort, between getting the antenna up, I had to do stuff
like hook up the washer/dryer, wire up the cable TV, get phone lines hooked up,
help the neighbor cut down some trees!  As a casual effort it was alot of fun.
Hope to have some real antennas up for NAQP CW.  There's a 5 element 10m and 3
element 15m beam(s) laying on the ground in my back yard.  Perhaps Harry Potter
could have levitated them for me!

73

chris, n4vi