[3830] ARRL SS SSB K4XU SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB K4XU SO LP
From: K4XU@ARRL.NET (K4XU@ARRL.NET)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:41:19 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, SSB

Call: K4XU
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO LP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:    148
   40:      7
   20:    256
   15:    201
   10:    564
-------------------------------
Total:   1176 x     79  =  185,808

Club:

Comments:

Was fighting a sudden death syndrome in my venerable Omni V for the
three hours before the contest.  It had died suddenly during a sked
Friday night. Found three bad PIN diodes and a driver transistor. WA7AJ
loaned me his MFJ voice keyer, delivered about 30 minutes before the 1PM
start time.  Hooking it up I found it is dead.  Spent the first three
hours of the contest calling CQ the old fashioned way while trying to
troubleshoot the thing on the fly.  Found a bad choke in the power lead.
Replaced it and was good to go by 0100.

It was wet here so the usual power line noise to the east was absent.
10m was a jewel.  The only troubles being neighbors w7gg and ky7b stealing
my frequency....

Not a bad effort but always felt as though I should have been S&P when I was
calling CQ and vice versa.  Missed VO1, never heard it.  Worked three VY1's
but that does not make up for the N-1 sweep. Now I have to get busy and fix
one of my linears before next weekend's ww cw contest....

Dick, K4XU