[3830] CQWW CW AA1K SOAB(A) HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW AA1K SOAB(A) HP
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (jon.zaimes@dol.net)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:27:59 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 44

  160:     26      8     19
   80:     27      7     19
   40:    331     31    100
   20:    548     39    119
   15:    363     34    120
   10:    764     34    128
-------------------------------
Total:   2259    153    505  =  4,298,714

Club/Team: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

160: Single 4-1000 amp, 100-ft series-fed tower (Tower No. 1, Rohn 25)
     for TX, hundreds of radials. Beverages for RX.
 80: Pair 4-400 amp, 1/4 wave wire vertical for TX (supported by Tower No. 1)
     Beverages for RX.
 40: Pair 4-400 amp, 3-el. Hy Gain Explorer yagi @ 82 feet (on Tower No. 2)
     fixed on Europe. 1/4 wave wire vertical (supported by Tower 1),
     Beverages for RX.
 20: Pair 4-400 amp. 204BA at 100 feet (rotary) over 204BA at 70 feet
     (fixed Eu) (on Tower 2, 100 feet of Rohn 45).
 15: Pair 4-400 amp. Wilson 415M 4-el. at 100 feet (Tower No. 3, Rohn 25).
 10: 4-1000 amp. Modified 105BA at 55-feet, sidemounted on Tower 2.
     Homebrew 5-el. at 20 feet on tree, fixed South.

Spent all the pre-contest time finishing up the hardware, little time
for the mental preperation. I need to work on that!

Ran out of time to wire up the second radio for SO2R, so just
had the FT1000MP. But its sub-receiver is almost as good, at least for
spotting new mults/q's and catching those callers who are just a bit
off my run frequency. Allows me to use the sharp (International Radio)
250 hz filters on the main RX and the 500 hz on the sub RX when I get a
good run going.

The six single-band, homebrew amps performed flawlessly.
These are long-time veterans of the FRC, which I have had since the
mid-80s, and I think they were built in the 50s and 60s. They are a mix of
grid-driven and grounded grid, but I finally figured out a way to
automatically cut the drive power on the grid-driven ones, eliminating
one bit of operator fatigue (and confusion) when band-changing.
With a Top Ten decoder box for the MP, and a host of homebrew really boxes,
the amps and antennas all switch automatically from the MP or the logging
program. Nice for grabbing other-band mults in a flash with ALT F4.
Almost like an Alpha -- but much cheaper, bigger and noisier.

The 80 meter wire vertical, which had performed nicely in the phone contest
a month ago, was virtually worthless this time. Only worked about 3
Europeans. Called many others with no response, listened as other
USA came in and worked them easily. Wasted some time trying to de-bug
but it didn't get any better.

The 15 meter relay box I installed Friday afternoon (there's another Wilson
yagi at 50 feet) developed a problem, and I removed it later Friday night
and used just the top one at 100 feet.

Couldn't get psyched for running till Sunday morning -- too much time
in multiplier mode. The crazy propagation didn't help either, but it
sure made chasing mults fun. We did have one 100+ hour on 20 at 1900z Saturday,
but five in a row Sunday morning, first one on 15 and the others on 10.

15 new mults in the last hour, mostly on 10 meters over the pole. But also
4x3A on 160. Riki was so loud -- but could only hear a few weak
Europeans all weekend on Top Band.