[3830] CQWW CW K7NV SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K7NV SOAB HP
From: K7NV@contesting.com (K7NV@contesting.com)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:36:50 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7NV
Operator(s): K7NV
Station:

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: 03
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:     10      5      4
   80:     49     16     20
   40:    311     27     56
   20:    205     29     76
   15:    491     33     78
   10:    543     30     76
-------------------------------
Total:   1609    140    310  =  2,029,050

Club/Team: NCCC & Mr. Neiger's Tigers #5

Comments:

I tried this once before back in the 80's, when I was young and dumb, at Dad's
place (W6KUT) with two 70' crankups, large monobanders, and phased verts on
80m. Almost made 900k, got stomped by one of my Elmers K6NA, and came away
thouroughly confused and dazed, but determined to try it again someday.

The only difference between then and now is I'm less young, and there isn't as
much at the other end of the coax to create so much confusion.

Was gonna try this last year, but went for singleband, due to sleep deprived
work schedule. This time, just did it anyway to get it in before things get
really bad. Besides, now I have a second amp and something to connect it to,
sounds like a good excuse (worked for the YL).

LowLites:

What's wrong? These radios were working when this started! Oh no! Everyone must
be working lots of stuff while I can't hear a darned thing.

10 hours with 10 q's or less. The rate sheet says I was only doing something
meaningful for 36 hrs.

Saying, awh to heck with it, think I'll take a nap....then doing it again.

Waking up from nap and trying to run with the amp still on standby.

High winds, rain static, heavier snow static, really cold out there in the
garage.

Sitting there, trying to figure out who all those EU's are on 20 thru the polar
flutter sending at 40 wpm.

Calling lots of guys in the clear and not even getting a ?

Having the EU's come right on a run freq and cq in my face, or the usual US M/M
gorillas doing the same. Since, it's now become standard contest fare, I've
decided to just go with it and enjoy the experience along with the rest of the
gang.

HighLites:

At 1/2 way I was at .7 M, smells like a new personal record!

Not being informed I was a LID, by some lurking "Eggsbert", when I screwed up
the 2R thing. What do those people do with their radios, lurk about looking for
LID's like me?

Nothing broke in the high winds, tumbleweeds stuck up in the antennas are
pretty when covered with snow.

The 20 year old space heater my YL gave me still works, and it's obnoxious
grinding noise is comforting to hear above all the equipment fans and howling
wind.

Saturday nites left-over turkey dinner, served during the JA run. Some dupes
are good!

Being able to run for an hour with the amp on standby.

Getting heard by G4BUO on 80 SP at his peak, the other EU's must not have been
peaking.

Getting heard by UA6LV on 80 LP at his peak.

Not getting too confused to remember to be there at somebody's peak.

Getting VU2MTT to move from 15m SP to 20 LP for 4 mults.

Getting right thru a lot of pileups, they're more fun after the gorillas are
done feeding.

Getting thru 80% of the contest with a radio in each ear, it's easier when the
bands go dead.

Running around in a panic Sunday morning trying to snag all that stuff that
just showed up and was just about to go away.

Chatting with a few of the locals on 3830 after the contest and not blowing my
own call or drooling on the mike.

Station:

Two TS 930's
Two amps, Alpha 78, Henry 3KD
Two old computers, one just for watching the sun go-round the planet
Two tribanders, TH7, C3
Two 40m antennas, 4 Sq, Inv V
Two 80m antennas, Vert, Inv V
Two x E+04 feet of wire, mostly on the ground.
Two feet of something over 50', TH7 upguy
Two girls that tolerate and feed me, YL and harmonic
Two cats that let me use their garage, and know to come around when the rate
sucks

I Imagine I got just about twice as much entertainment as most fellows!

There's just nothing quite like trying to be on 4 bands at the same time with
only two of everything, and .2 x E+02 percent of the host's bio-computer
properly processing the data.

Need to do this over and over till I get it right, or simply forget what
weekend the contest is on, whichever comes first. The wise man will know where
to place his bets....

Thanks to everyone for the challenging (fun) experiment! Just wouldn't be the
same without each and every one....

73, Kurt