[3830] ARRL SS SSB AA4LR SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB AA4LR SO LP
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (aa4lr@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:05:01 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:      0
   80:     85
   40:    156
   20:    223
   15:    127
   10:     59
-------------------------------
Total:    650 x     79  =  102,700

Club: SECC

Comments:

Equipment:
Kenwood TS-430S running 100 watts, AT-250
K1KP-style homebrew voice keyer (1 message)
Heil BM-10

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S @ 49.5' (10-20m)
1/4 wave sloper @ 40' (40m)
105' doublet @ 35' (80m)

Comments:
This was my first SS Phone with real antennas in six years. I had waited a long
time for this moment.

Goal was to break the 1000 Q barrier. Got off to a great start. First four
hours netted nearly 200 Qs (and would have had more if not for an unscheduled
20-minute off period -- which unfortunately counts as on-time) By 0300z,
however, the rate had died way off as I hit the low bands. Finished the first
12 hours with 450 Q. I had hoped for 600.

After a 3 hour nap, back at the radio to the considerably lower Sunday rates.
Did OK on the high bands. Had to take 2 hours off to babysit my sick 5 year old
so my wife could go to church. Just after 2205z, I decided to bag the effort.
It was clear I wasn't coming near my goal, and I had sickness in the family to
take care of.

Antennas did OK. The A3S really makes a huge difference compared to the old
R7000 vertical. The 40m sloper was OK, but doesn't really cut it with all the
Region 1 QRM. The 80m doublet just isn't that effective unless the band is
really quiet -- it's too doggone low.

I can't see how I did phone contests without a voice keyer to call CQ. Before,
I'd be hoarse after just a couple of hours. As it was, I could have gone the
full 24 and only been a little scratchy.

Plenty of improvements to make for next year.