[3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: n4tz@arrl.net (n4tz@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:34:18 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:     13      6      8
   80:     59     11     32
   40:    185     22     70
   20:    438     34    103
   15:    258     23     88
   10:    384     25     91
-------------------------------
Total:   1336    121    392  =  1,940,166

Club/Team: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The contest started nicely - although 10 and 15 didn't hold up as
 long as last year, I compensated by moving to 20 and 40 earlier so
 was up about 100 Qs after the first 6 hours, even thought 80m was
 noticably less productive than last year.  Then things ground to
 a halt!  Things were so slow that I took an hour off at what
 would normally be prime run time for a low power station: 1400z Saturday
 morning to catch 40 winks.  The bands seemed even worse after the
 nap - by the end of the first 24 hours I had about half of last year's
 score.  Saturday night the lightning was so bad I stopped to turn
 on the TV only to find my county was under a tornado watch until
 1am local time.  I shut down for 3 hours and tried to catch some
 shut eye.  At 0400z I ventured onto the air again - the weather
 conditions seemed better but the propagation was still poor.
 Around sunrise Sunday, 1230z, the bands seemed to open up again.
 When 10m slowed down around 1730z I went to 15m for one hour, then
 it also slowed.  My second radio has recently exhibited about 30dB of
 deafness, not a problem in Sweepstakes, but a real problem with
 weak DX signals. With no other input from the outside world, I feared
 a repeat of Saturday, so retreated to 20m for the remainder of the
 contest.

 Last year I lost all of Sunday afternoon to TRLog crashing and
 not being able to restart it on either of two computers.  [The
 documentation of TRLog has since been updated to reflect the
 problem.]  The loss of more than six hours of good operating time
 last year was almost exactly offset by this year's loss of good
 operating conditions.  My claimed score is up about 70k points,
 primarily due to increased mults found on my extended 20m time.

 This year I was able to turn more of the antennas on my single
 tower, which undoubtedly helped in the wierd propagation conditions.
 For example, Sunday afternoon I kept the lower 20m on the TIC
 ring pointed to Europe and the top 20m pointed SE to catch
 the zone 8 & 9 stations, but also got a YB and JA to call in
 long path.

 The contest was a real emotional roller coaster - delight, despair,
 discouragement, disgust and  determination - certainly well worth
 the price of admission.

Station description:

 Two TenTec OMNI VI+s, 100 watts PEP output into 400 feet of coax to
 homebrew sixpack at base of tower.

 My single (fully-loaded) tower now sports the following antennas:

 40  - 402-CD @ 120'(interlaced with 20m)
       402-CD @ 62' fixed on EU (interlaced with 20m) on ring rotor

 20  - 5el, 48' boom @ 120' (40 interlaced on this boom)
       5el, 48' boom @ 62' fixed on EU (40 interlaced on this boom)

 15  - 5el @ 130',5el @ 99' and 45' on ring rotors, 5el @ 75' fixed on EU

 10 -  5el yagis interlaced on all 15 meter antennas

 80 -  4 square

160 -  75' high inverted L