[3830] ARRL SS CW KB0VVT Multi-Op

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW KB0VVT Multi-Op
From: kg0us@swbell.net (Rebecca Rich)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:30:04 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: KB0VVT
Operator(s): KB0VVT, KG0US
Station: KB0VVT

Class: Multi-Op
QTH: MO
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:    143
   40:     83
   20:    207
   15:    222
   10:    122
-------------------------------
Total:    777 x     80  =  124,320

Club: RAYTOWN MISSOURI ARC

Comments:

LOW POWER MULTI-OP STATION

ICOM 775 DSP
KENWOOD TS-850S

2 Dunestar Model 600 bandpass filters

40 foot Universal Tower with KLM KT34A tri-band beam.
Alpha Delta DX-A twin sloper mounted on the tower.
Cushcraft R7 Vertical.

My 13 year old daughter Rebecca, KB0VVT, and I decided to put in our first full
effort in the ARRL Sweepstakes CW contest this year.  I am very proud of the
effort that Rebecca put into this contest.  She operated at least 12 hours and
with her effort we were able to get the sweep.  Rebecca says she likes CW
contests better than phone contests but does not operate all that often given
her busy schedule.  She manages to spend time operating the CW station during
Field Day and during a few contests in November.  She also participated in the
Kansas City DX Club Hospitality Suite Pileup Contest at Dayton this year.  She
only was able to get about a third of the callsigns that the winner
accomplished but that is not too bad given her age and the fact that this was
only her second pileup contest ever.  She also beat dad?s score in that contest
and on the RUFZ program.

When the contest started we were both a little flustered by some people putting
"nr" in the exchange while others did not.  We had used the NA logging programs
practice mode previously and it did not add the "nr" to the exchange.  We later
decided that the "nr" in the exchange was a nice feature and added it to our
exchange as well.

This contest requires a real exchange!  Rebecca adapted to the contest rather
quickly while I had some trouble.  Most people were very patient with me but
some just gave up and started CQing before I was able to finish the QSO.  I was
too slow to respond in some cases because I would forget which function key to
press while under pressure to complete the QSO.  I fixed that situation during
the next contest by putting Post-It notes above each function key.

Our friend Steve K0OU, lives only a couple of blocks away and normally runs
High Power during contests.  You can imagine the QRM our stations give to each
other.  We tried our best to tip toe around Steve as much as possible but
occasionally we would invariably run into each other when we both were after a
much needed multiplier.  Steve and I both use IC775DSP transceivers and I think
we receive each others transmitted phase noise along with normal QRM.  This
appears to be especially true when on the same band.  I know Steve said he
could not even operate on 80 meters if we were on there as well.

There are some that want the rule to be changed to make the contest shorter.  I
would prefer to keep the contest just as it is now.  It would be nice if there
was a Multi-Op Low Power category.  Some of the big guns were wanting to make
the contest about 6 hours shorter in duration.  How about this idea?  Make all
the High Power Categories shorter but keep the Low Power and QRP categories as
they are now and add a Multi-Op Low Power Category.

Best Regards,

Dave, KG0US