[3830] WA8RCN ARRL 160 Meter Contest Score...QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WA8RCN ARRL 160 Meter Contest Score...QRP
From: jturl@cisco.com (James Turle)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:46:21 -0500
ARRL 2001 160-Meter Contest

Call : WA8RCN
Operator : WA8RCN
Station : WA8RCN

Class : QRP
QTH : Stow, Ohio (near Akron)
Operating time : 15 hours

QSO's : 301       Sections : 52       Countries : 3          Total score  =
33,605

Club : N/A

Rig : TS850 SAT @ 5 watts
Ant : Inverted "L" @ 40 ft

This was the first contest for me since last year. Busy with family
obligations. Daughter number got married this fall, and now for sure no
money for radios or antennas for a while. Conditions seemed to be good all
weekend, except for the noise level. Usually increases directionally
proportionally to the number of Christmas lights, decorations, etc the
neighborhood puts up this time of year. Managed to work a couple of DX
stations. Trick is to get them as their signal peaks, although with QRP it
may take a while. As most of you know by now I have been doing the QRP thing
for a couple of years, and it's both challenging and frustrating. You got to
just keep plugging away at it, and Q's start to add up. The old S & P method
usually works well. A big thanks to all of you guys that worked me. I know a
few times that it took a while but you pulled me through. Thanks for
spending the time to listen.

Happy Holidays to all & cu in the next test QRP.

Jim
WA8RCN